MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Guru

Has anybody seen or used the 2x48 multi tool?

It is a 2x48 belt sander/disc sander you can attach to your bench grinder. It cost $289 and is out of stock right now, they have a 2x36 attachment as well, both with the oddball sized 7" disc sander. I suppose my 8" discs would be ok, they would just stick out half an inch all around. They have the machines as well with the attachments.
Name of the company is Trick Tools. Here is their website.
http://www.trick-tools.com/ I hope this pic uploads.

Last edited by jimmontg; 04-02-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:12 PM

I have owned and used the 2x48 version with the 8" contact wheel for a decade or more.

Its a great tool. I made many knives on it even with a 1/3HP grinder. A 1HP grinder is recommended as a minimum.

I never used the disc grinder part of it, but the belt tracks great on the contact wheel and platen. I lined the platen with pyroceramic glass.

I recommend it as a good platform to start on or to augment an existing shop.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 PM
Guru

Thank You Andy

I have a Delta 1x42 belt sander with 8" disc sander. I was thinking since I have a 1/2 HP motor and 16 mm shaft (.629) on the unit to the disc I would get this and put it on. It says 5/8 max shaft which is .625 so I think I can easily compensate for the .004. difference. What do you think about it? Is the 1720 rpm to fast? I have been thinking of taking that disc off for a while and putting something on there as I am unable to do certain grinds and it has aluminum wheels so I can't contour grind with it and the frame gets in the way too. It has a great sanding table on it though that make grinding a bevel easy. This attachment would save me money and I could keep my disc sander too, but just an inch smaller.

Tags
bee, belt, belt sander, bench grinder, bevel, common, easy, grinder, grinding, knives, made, make, motor, multi tool, products, sander, sanding, shop, tools, wheels