MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:32 PM

Bench Grinder Help

Just got gifted a bench grinder from a friend but I know little to nothing about it. It is a 6" wheel grinder by KTS Tools (model BG-6 if that means anything). I want to replace the wheels but not sure what is the best for knife making. I work with a lot of tool steel and recycled blades. This will be for smoothing out rough edges after cutting the blank out with a plasma cutter and generally heavy removal.

Like I said I'm a total newb when it comes to owning my own bench grinder so any help is really appreciated. ALSO I'd love some input on whether I should just buy a new one. This seems like a old reliable piece of equipment so I'd love to gfix it and use it rather than purchase a new plastic grinder.

Here's 2 dancing locks as a preemptive gesture of gratitude

thanks a lot!

Joey

Last edited by shrpnd; 09-01-2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 PM
Skilled

wasn't able to find anything on it on the KTS website.... *shrugs
but hey the price was right, and if its working, then use it!
is it a single or double wheel?
what HP? RPM?
I have a 6" grinder I run 8" wheels on to provide me that extra bit of clearance from the motor body, however im not using it with stone for heavy metal removal work. :-/

if its a 2 wheel.... get a coarse and med, or coarse and fine heel. just my thoughts. see how it works compared to a belt sander. (a good bit of work can be done with one of the harbor freight 1x30, if $$ is a major issue like was with me)

having an assortment of other wheels for this grinder is good too. can depend on what materials you are working with and what finishing you are doing. some flap wheels maybe, some of the 3M deburring wheels and buffing/ polishing wheels. I could list my set up and processes, but then you still have to try what works best for what you are working on/with. having these different wheels on hand, they will still be useful even after santa or the easter bunny drops off that grizzly, bader, or kmg 2x72

hope I was at least a bit helpful
Old 03-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Steel Addict

If you are wanting to run belts, you might look into adding a Multitool attachment. Although a full on belt grinder would be better, I bought this attachment and have been using it for nearly 15 years now. Here is a link to one:

Multitool Attachment

I extended the arm with a piece of angle iron so I can run 72" belts. I also added a variable speed motor under the bench that I can connect with a belt in order to run the grinder at slower speeds.

This is not the way I would have gone if I had had the money all at once to buy a grinder, but I pieced this together over time.

Here is a picture:

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 09-07-2021, 05:57 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Crawford View Post
If you are wanting to run belts, you might look into adding a Multitool attachment. Although a full on belt grinder would be better, I bought this attachment and have been using it for nearly 15 years now. Here is a link to one:

Multitool Attachment

I extended the arm with a piece of angle iron so I can run 72" belts. I also added a variable speed motor under the bench that I can connect with a belt in order to run the grinder at slower speeds.

This is not the way I would have gone if I had had the money all at once to buy a grinder, but I pieced this together over time.

Here is a picture:
Thanks for your valuable information.

Tags
2x72, angle, bee, belt, belts, bench grinder, blades, buy, ca, crawford, grinder, hand, iron, knife, knife making, making, materials, metal, motor, sander, steel, stone, tools, wheels