MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 PM

Tell me about my anvil

I just bought my first anvil, and I know next to nothing about anvils.

It was in an old shop, underneath an old workbench, covered in cobwebs, sawdust and old grease. It weighed 126# on a set of bathroom scales and it gave good rebound when struck with a hammer. I gave $200 for it.

After cleaning it up, I can find no distinguishing marks, other than the number 13 raised above the base under the horn.

Can anyone tell by looking at the picture, what did I stumble on? Are there other ways to possibly identify manufacturer?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Guru

Honestly there are so many out there that are improperly marked that it is almost impossible to tell who made it. I have one like this and I cleaned it up good, did see a few numbers but that's it. Some of the peter wright anvils has this shape but the most important factor is the bounce test. If that is good then it's a good anvil.

As for being half real half cast I am going to leave that up to others to debate.

This looks almost identical to mine excpt mine is 250 pounds.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 06-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Skilled

NGsportsman...There is not a lot to go on here, but your anvil resembles those made by the II&B company who also made the Vulcan anvils. The shortness of the horn and also the deep "drop" of the horn into the base is the closest thing to an indicator that I can see. The only thing is that I have never seen either a Vulcan or an II&B anvil that was not clearly marked as such....but there is always a first....
Old 01-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Could you show a pic of the mark under the horn? Might be something that will help identify the anvil. 126# is a good minimum weight for blade forging. Have fun with your new anvil1
Old 07-14-2015, 06:03 AM

Anvil weight

A few years late with this answer but the 113 marking defines this anvils weight.
The first figure is for 1 hundredweight (that is 112 pounds) + 13 pounds for a total weight of weight of 125lbs which is very close to what your scales measured 126 lbs. Possibly made in the U.K. with this sort of marking. Unlikely to be a famous maker if they weren't proud enough to cast their mark into it. Does the makers name really matter ? It looks like a very nice anvil and if it rings true that is all that really matters.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

That looks alot like an Arm& Hammer Anvil. Cast body with a Steel face. I used to have a 100lb one

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 09-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Master

Looks Vulcan , will do you just fine , the face and horn look in really good shape....welcome to the addiction !

Old 09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

My bad Vulcan would be the correct name. They used the Arm&Hammer logo

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM

You got a good deal on that. Anvilfire.com has a good page explaining what to look for in an anvil, including what you should expect to spend. They said a Chinese sand cast door stopper (very low grade anvil) could go for $1/lb. Lower midgrade like my Star 100# runs about $2-3/lb.
If you got a ring out of yours I would have to say you're at least in the higher midgrade, moving into the top grade. Mine doesn't ring at all.... it just goes ~ whap!~.

Tags
anvil, blade, forging, hammer, horn, knife, made, makers, sand, scales, steel