MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:17 PM

Newbie Intro - Mill or Drill Press, or both?

Hey guys,

Did a search on the subject, but couldn't find an answer to my specific question, and figured I needed to introduce myself anyway.

My name is Nick and I'm just getting into knife making, but have a lot of the tools already from various other hobbies (woodworking, brewing beer, cars, guns, etc.). I have a couple belts sanders (a 1X30 HF model, and a 4X36, not the ideal 2x72 unfortunately), angle grinder, chop saw, Dremel, files, lathe, etc. but what I have never acquired over the years is a drill press. It has come to my attention that this is an extremely useful tool when doing stock removal knives like I plan on doing.

After researching, I am wondering if I should just get a mill instead of a drill press due to it sounding like a mill will always be more precise than any drill press in my budget, and could also be used for other features that only a mill can accomplish. I plan to use cobalt bits and cutting oil, and my budget is around $1500.00. I'm looking for something that can handle both metal and woodworking tasks.

Was looking at a Delta 18-900L, but that appears to be more for woodworking as the slowest RPM is fairly high still. Jet seems to make a decent drill press that has a 150 min. rpm setting, but Jet is also hit or miss on their tools from my experience in wood working.

To be honest, I know nothing about mills, and i'm sure that a drill press would suffice just fine for what I plan on doing, but i'm just looking for a more experienced opinion on the subject before I put down cash on something. Can anyone offer some advice or information on how I should proceed?

A big thank you to all who run this forum, it is truly is a top notch place, and has a wealth of information for helping newbies such as myself get started in the craft.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 AM
Skilled

A good grinder and a cheap drill press. Grinder is the most important tool for a knifemaker.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:01 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by racjarrett88 View Post
A good grinder and a cheap drill press. Grinder is the most important tool for a knifemaker.
That is true, All you really need is a drill press unless you go into folders in the future and then a mill is very handy, and as you said a mill is a drill press, I have 2 drill presses and am working slowly toward a mill. Ed

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, belts, craft, drill, files, grinder, guns, handle, helping, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, make, making, metal, mill, newbie, notch, press, stock removal, tools