MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Registered

kbma-24 loud pop

Was grinding an heard a loud pop and grinder quit . Still have power to box , green light flash slow . Any ideas . First knife on this grinder. 115 v / 1hp.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Steel Addict

If you are not comfortable/experienced with electricity, you need to get someone qualified to look at it. Always unplug. 220 will often give you a very unpleasant jolt and knock you loose, 110 will go across your heart and stop your heart. BE CAREFUL!!!

Unplug it and start investigating the wiring and connections. If the wiring inside the box is OK, take a multimeter/ test light and see if you are getting power to the motor from the box. I have seen where wires burnt off right at the motor!

If you are getting power at the other end of the wires from the box to the motor, then what ever happened is in the motor itself. Don't take anything for granted when it comes to wiring I have seen wiring connections that looked like they were together and upon closer examination a wire had shorted from vibration of the grinder and actually one of the wires was burnt off.

A loud pop sounds like something may have shorted out. Is there a reset button on the motor? If you have to get inside the motor looks for burnt wiring! Or arcing on the armature!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 11-09-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Steel Addict

Like craft said, electrical demands your full attention and respect at all times.

A common problem with the grinders is dust and grit inside the motor. I keep my grinder vacumed and blown out on a dayly basis. Same with a VFO if you have one. If this happens it essentially it's a dead short in your machine and can be really dramatic when it pops.

Any sign of a burnt Oder?

Erik

Tags
art, common, craft, electrical, first knife, grinder, grinding, knife, motor, problem