MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:29 AM

My completed 2x72" belt grinder

It took a couple months of accumulating materials, a lot of drilling, tapping, and swearing, but it's done. This was built without a single weld. Everything is bolted together. I didn't follow anyone's plans. Instead, I boiled down the designs I saw others make into the simplest design I could manage that would get the job done. Then I realized it wouldn't *quite* get the job done, so I swore some more and fixed it.

This is the second motor I've used for it. The first was a treadmill motor, and the grinder worked great for about thirty minutes, and then the motor crapped out. Now it's got a single phase 1.5HP motor that once powered a mill.

The tracking mechanism is an old door hinge, and a knob with a threaded rod fit through a hole I drilled and tapped. Works pretty well.

The whole thing cost me around $500. Probably $100 of that was in mistakes, but it's still way cheaper than any grinder I could find for sale, including the slightly sub-par Grizzley knife grinder, which now is running upwards of $800.

All in all, if you've got the technical skill, it's a helluva lot cheaper to bang together your own grinder. And, this slightly sketchy looking contraption runs like a dream. Going from my old 1/3HP 4x36" grinder to this was like going from a Honda Civic to a Bugatti Veyron. Good stuff all around.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Looks good, hope it works for you!

Tags
2x72, belt, fixed, for sale, grinder, knife, make, materials, mechanism, motor, rod, sale, trap, weld