MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:16 PM

Post Heat Treat Grinding

Hi Guys,

I had some O1 stock @.110 heat treated before I ground the bevels. I read somewhere thin stock will warp if ground too thin. I used fresh belts and was pleased with the results. I was wondering how many of you grind after heat treating and at what thickness do you reach diminishing return.

Thanks

Bill Schrade
Old 02-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Steel Addict

I grind post heat treat filets and small knives. thickness from .50 to .98 thickness. I do grind a lead edge bevel prior to heat tresting.
the 3/32 stock I grind prior to treating but leave the edge similar to a forged blade then come back and thin after it is ready to go.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:23 AM
Enthusiast

Sorry for the late reply. I grind all of my thin stock (below @ .100") hardened. Reduces chances of blades doing squirrelly stuff during heat treat (usually plate quenched, as the kitchen knives I've been making are stainless), which also means I have full contact of the blade to the plates, as well.

Good, sharp ceramic belts don't care what they're grinding. Does it take a little longer? Sure. For me, the surety of dimension is well worth the extra care required.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Enthusiast

I'm with Mr. Gregory. Anything stainless 3/32 and under gets ground post HT. I haven't done much post HT grinding with carbon steels, however. 3m 967's eat hardened steel very well!

Tags
back, bee, belts, bevel, blade, blades, edge, file, forged, forged blade, grind, grinding, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, making, post, quenched, sharp, small, stainless, thickness