MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM
Registered

Knife and Tool Sharpening System by Gadget Guy

It seems to me that from the beginning of time putting uniform edge on the blade has always been a combination of hand skills (years of experience) and some magic. Various contraptions has been offered and used to ease the task of maintaining the uniform angle throughout the blade?s length. It is a relatively easy task at the straight portion of the edge. But when it comes to curve portion of the blade, I am not aware of any machine offering a reliable reference point, so one could sharpen and re-sharpen the curve edge under the same angle over and over again. The precise center of the curve radius may be approximated once, but never repeated precisely. There fore re-sharpening of the curve edge is always done at slightly different angle, which results in more material being removed that necessary. It is especially difficult when the curve radius is continuously variable (like on some kukri or machete blades).
I ask myself a question: Is it possible to built a machine, which will hold the blade against the sharpening surface under the same angle regardless of the shape of the blade? A year later, I am introducing my Knife and Tool Sharpening System!
Its key feature:
1. Repeatable positioning of the blade against the sharpening surface regardless of the shape of the blade and number of times the blade is set in and removed from the machine.
2. Forming of the edge on the blade required only once. Maintaining the sharpness is a matter of 2-3 passes over 800 or 1000 grit belts and 2-3 passes over leather belt.

Please watch my video introduction: http://youtu.be/rc5AVamgsaY

Tags
angle, bee, beginning, belts, blade, blades, easy, edge, hand, knife, leather, machete, material, post, sharpening, sharpness, small, surface, trap, video