MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:19 PM

VFD switching

Hey guys,
I want to run my disc sander and belt grinder with one vfd. Where do I get a switch so I'm only sending power to one or the other. I've been looking but can't find what I think I need.
Thanks much
Scott

Old 04-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Steel Addict

Scott,
I don't have a switch, would be interested in getting one. I unplug one machine and plug in the other. Takes about 5 seconds, because I have to find the other plug under my tools.
Fred
Old 04-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Skilled

I picked up a 30a 120-240v On-off-On rocker switch at Ace for like 12$ for my ht oven.. I'm sure something like that would do just fine for you..
~Nate
Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM

I just set mine up last week: I ran a female plug out of my VFD and put a male plug on my KMG motor and disc grinder motor. I did have to buy and install a forward/reverse switch for my VFD (got that at Beaumont Metalworks) so I could run my disc grinder both directions. I'm no electrician but the set up and switch install was super easy.

All I do now to switch between the KMG and disc grinder is to power down the VFD then swap plugs, power up the VFD ... good to go
Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM

Hello all, I am new to the site but I am an industrial electrican by trade. One thing to keep in mind if you motor is not inverter duty rated you will shorten the life of the motor any time you are running at any speed other than 60hz on your VFD. You can look at the ID plate and see if it is rated to run on a VFD, the lower Hz you run at generates more heat in the windings and if the motor is not built for the extra heat that is where the problems will arise.

P.S. Just thinking about knife making as a hobby and love this site so far.

Tags
beaumont metalworks, bee, common, easy, grinder, heat, hobby, knife, knife making, making, motor, sander, sheaths, tools, vfd