MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 AM
Registered

Rob frink, PLEASE, please, please sell me some contact wheels and ship em to Australia those things are hard as heck to get in Aussie, also bloody expensive as mentioned above. cheers

Last edited by boilermaker; 10-29-2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Steel Addict

Here's mine. It can take bigger round wheels, but I've never set it up with anything but the platen. The 3" rubber wheel on the bottom was an improvement over the 2" steel wheel I started with. Found I needed the contact wheel for some things. 1.5hp motor, 230VAC, 3-speed pulleys. Top speed 3600fpm, which has been fast enough for me. If I had it all to do over, I'd arrange the wheels more like a KMG. But I had never used one back when I build this. I may still build one more like the KMG...

If the pic doesn't show up right, there are a couple more pictures and more story at www.sojournerforge.com. Click on "Grinder"

Oh, and notice that mine's left handed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OnCart.jpg (52.6 KB, 228 views)

Old 12-25-2013, 10:02 AM

2 X 72 Grinder with Rotary Platen and Small Wheel Horizontal Vertical

Hi guys,

Getting close on my Prototype Grinder for my shop.

Here is a link to my build thread:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...-controld.html

Here is a link that shows how my Rotary Platen Locking Indexing Design works:

Here is a link to the latest progress.

Note: The Rotary Platen Indexing Plate and the Rotary Platen Plate are currently made from Plexiglas for prototyping purposes. The end product will me made from .500 thick 6061T6 Aluminum with all threaded holes Heli-Coiled for additional strength and longevity. Both the Indexing plate and Rotary Platen Plate have hardened drill bushings installed for indexing accuracy and longevity from a wear standpoint. The spring loaded plunger makes rotary rotation to different contact wheel positions very easy and quick and prevents any accidental rotation of the platen assembly which can be dangerous.

My design of this Rotary indexing Platen has a series of different size contact wheels which will allow many varied grinding operations. It even has a small wheel grinding attachment designed into this Rotary Indexing Platen.

The Rotary Platen plate is easily removable and can be replaced with any size contact wheel. All of this can be done on the same tool bar. The goal was to make this the most versatile grinder for my shop.

I have some further ideas that I will incorporate into future tool bar designs. The goal will be to get the most out of each tool bar as it pertains to functionality.

I utilized ONECNC CAD/CAM to design most of the parts and machined them on my HAAS TM-1P CNC Milling Machine.

John
Old 11-28-2014, 08:09 PM

Does anyone care to enlighten me on where I would begin in building a custom grinder?
I am trying to figure out if I should be buying one or building one.

Trying to begin a little something for myself.

Twitter: Elliot Fox @ VulpiniKnives

Tags
build, building, custom, demo, design, diy, drill, easy, grinder, grinding, knife, knife making, made, metal, wheels