MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:09 PM

Where to buy counterbores

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before, but can anyone tell me where I can find quality counterbores? Specifically, I would like to get both .288 and .156 counterbores so I can recess my pivot bolts and button-head screws on my folders. I primarily use G-10, Micarta, and Carbon Fiber for my handle material. A lot of the online sites and stores I've checked don't seem to have what I'm looking for. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:23 PM
Skilled

Ray Rogers posted this on another string:

"Get a Big Book catalog (free) from MSC. They have every drill, reamer, tap, countersink, etc known to man. They usually have each one in several price ranges depending on who made it and they have them in 'screw machine' length which is what we need for metal drilling. I use the cobalt screw machine drills (cobalt, not carbide). You can buy them one at a time but its best to buy the small drills in small quantities and throw them away when they get dull or break.

You will be impressed by that catalog if you've never seen one before - its the only catalog I've ever received that I needed a hand truck to carry it into the house (well, almost). MSC isn't the cheapest place but they do have very high quality and terrific service. Even out here in the boonies, if I order in the morning I'll probably have the item on my door step the next afternoon.

And, when I said they have every drill I mean they have every drill! And reams, if you need a ream that is .002 larger than a standard size, they have it. Any size, fractional sizes, wire sizes, or metric and literally sizes that fall between all of those standards. While you're at it, get a drill chart (usually $4). Get a nice big one, poster sized, for your shop wall. With that, you won't ever have to ask "what size drill do I need if I want a hole that will allow a 1/4" pin to just barely slip though?".

That catalog also has all the info in it that explains what type of drill to use for specific types of work. Same info available for bandsaw blades and milling cutters. You need this catalog....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!"

Good to see a fellow Hoosier on here, where are you from? I'm near indianapolis. Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 09-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Thank you for the info on MSC, Alex. I do appreciate that. Those counterbores are tough to find! BTW, I live in Northeast Indiana (about 45 minutes directly north of Fort Wayne).
Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Skilled

Good deal! Glad it helped you. I'm in greenwood, about 20min s of Indy. Pm me a phone number and we can meet up sometime.

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 09-24-2014, 09:49 AM

You don't need a MSC Big Book. Just go to this link and the whole catalog is on line with access.

mscdirect.com

Tags
bee, blades, carbon, drill, hand, handle, handle material, knives, made, man, material, metal, micarta, pivot, shop, throw, wood