MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Enthusiast

4x36 Benchtop Sander

Well I finished my first knife, I put the grind on with a hand file. I enjoyed it so much I don't want to do it on this one I plan on making a jig to keep my angle tight, I have the above in the garage I used for the first knife in finishing. Anyone have any experience with these for putting a grind on?
Old 01-26-2014, 07:46 AM

Thats what I started with. Its better than filing by hand but belts are expensive, and control is not easy. You are limited to flat grinding. All that being said, if thats what you have then go for it.
Steve

Old 06-04-2014, 11:57 AM

I started out with files and a simple jig to keep my angles the same on both sides after marking the center line. The jig I built was designed by Aaron Gough of Gough Custom. Look him up on youtube for his jig build. After that I started using a harbor freight 1x30 and a 4x36 craftsman. I think I messed up more knives with the 1x30 than I completed. lol The 4x36 worked pretty good for me because it had a guide I used for the knife as a reference. I still use it today for any axe grinds. Good Luck!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Skilled

I use a 4x36, the trick is to track the belt as close to the edge as you can get while it is still on the flat. If the belt wants to walk that will make it dificult if not impossible. I have my sander turned backwards with the belt turning away from me and the angle set just under eye level. I'll start the plunge at a 45deg angle, one it is established I'll increase the angle to where I want it. After that's established I'll flip the blade around with the sander taking material from the back, then I can control the angle to make the point. It takes some practice, keep your belts sharp. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:28 PM
Hall of Famer

One machinist who posted about this problem put a secondary platen over the main one that sat exactly under the belt. You could use a piece of steel or go to somewhere like High Temperature Tools and Refractory and get a ceramic glass platen and use something like J B Weld to secure it. Also put a couple of sheet metal screws in the main platen for the secondary platen to rest against and take some strain off the glue. You will still have something that will run a bit fast and can only do flat grinds but it can do until you can put the money together for a 2X72" grinder.

Doug

Old 06-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Skilled

I've made most of my knives with a 4x36. doing what jmc says is the trick. It'll do the job pretty well just make sure to keep a cup of water nearby because the blade will heat up pretty quickly.

Tags
angle, art, axe, blade, build, craftsman, custom, easy, edge, file, files, flat, grind, grinding, hand, jig, knife, knives, make, making, material, sander, sharp, simple, steel