MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Skilled

Merle Rush 1952-2013

Merle L. Rush, 60, of Streator, died Tuesday, April 2, at his home. Cremation rites were accorded. Elias Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

Merle Rush, aka Blacksmith101 was my BEST friend and mentor. I first met him back in ?06 when he introduced me to welding. He sent me home with my first forge hood a Lincoln arc welder, and my very first ?knife-shaped object.? Over the years we've laughed and joked, he believed in me when I wanted to return to school, even when I didn?t believe in myself (especially finals week). In many ways it would be easier to say what he was not than to list the things he?d done over the course of his life.

Merle was a Vietnam veteran, lifelong student and scholar, knife-maker and blacksmith, multi-media artisan, avid outdoorsman and just good all around person. He took me to my first Hammer In held in Troy a few years back and for my birthday built me my first real forge, he also fabricated the 50T press that currently sits in my shop. His two favorite things were measuring with calipers (to Ed?s dismay), and the phrase ?It is what it is.?

Please keep his mother Wilma and wife Christina in your thoughts and prayers; he leaves a step-daughter and grandson who was his pride and joy.

And tell your friends how much they mean to you, because we just never know do we?

Last edited by Julie Coffey; 01-01-2017 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Master

Thank you for the announcement Julie. I never got to meet him in person, but I definitely got to know him as one of the good guys. Boy life can be much too short.

Craig
Old 04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Julie called me this morning, to let me know, and frankly I couldn't respond to this post until now......I was just too dumb struck.

It's hard for me right now, so I'll just say this...Merle was a very talented man, with the nicest personality. He and I hit it off from our first meeting, and he will be dearly missed.

Prayers for his family.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Skilled

julie...Thank you for your posting, and for the info on Merle's cremation. I had tried for the last month to contact him. I don't think there was a single day when I didn't try to contact him. I finally got hold of a mutual friend in Streator, and he was able to get only minimal info...but he at least notified me upon hearing of Merle's death. I had feared that something serious had happened, but I didn't really think that he was so close to death. I figured that he was in a hospital someplace, and called several hospitals asking if he had been admitted. I had planned on going to the hospital and visiting with him.
Needless to say, I was devastated upon hearing of his death.
Merle was a close personal friend, and we enjoyed many days working together in his shop. He spoke of you often, and told me how much he enjoyed your company.
As you mentioned in your post, he was a man of many talents. I cannot remember ever having known anyone else who demonstrated such an in-depth knowledge of so many different things.....and not only could he talk the talk...he could walk the walk.
I know that anyone who knew Merle will miss him, his great sense of humor, and his willingness to always be available when he was needed.
What a guy!!

Tags
back, bee, blacksmith, chris, custom, demo, forge, forging, hammer, home, man, mentor, post, press, welding