MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-10-2004, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast

Turning Point

I got a wild hair the other day and decided to try and make a fillet knife. Given my past problems with grinding and a lack of familiarity with stainless steels coupled with the difficulty in grinding a fillet blade, I thought this venture was likely to fail. However, for whatever reason that particular day I finally "got it." Whether or not I still have it...we will see. This was the first knife I have ever ground through an entire progression of belts up to 400 grit; I normally screw up at the 60 or 120, and have to hand sand or file to fix it. In addition, this was my first attempt at heat treating SS, I used it yesterday and so far no complaints. All comments are welcome.

Thank You,
Justin Gardner

Description:

Blade: 7 1/2"
Overall: 12 1/2"
Steel: 154cm
Handle: G10

Old 05-10-2004, 05:43 PM
Guru

Looks like you did a dandy job on that one Justin. Keep em coming.

Shane
Old 05-11-2004, 08:47 AM
Steel Addict

Looks like a heck of a filet knife! Nice work. I'm always curious to hear what approach people take on the heat-treatment of their filet knives. Can you tell us a little about that too?

Thanks

Old 05-11-2004, 05:44 PM
Enthusiast

Certainly, I started by grinding my blade to an edge thickness of 0.030 and to a 400 grit on the belts. I cleaned up a few areas by hand sanding with 400 grit then finished off with 600, all prior to HT. I did a single wrap with HT foil with a little ground charcoal. I found a couple of posts detailing times and temperatures which is what I based most of this on in conjunction with the Crucible datasheet. Using an Even heat oven I ramped up to 1450F for 10 minutes, then ramped to 1950F for 15 minutes. For the quench I used two inch thick aluminum plates 6 inch wide by 18 inch long, with a blast of compressed air between the plates. I cooled them to room temperature, then into the liquid nitrogen for 8 to 10 hours. I finished with 2 tempers 2 hours each one at 400F and the final at 375F.

I observed no warping on either blade (I did two at the same time). Both have/had a little bit of scale but nothing I couldn't take care of by hand sanding with 400 grit. I think in the future I will double foil wrap and use strips of newspaper instead of the ground charcoal. In addition, on the next go around I intend to press my luck a little further and grind the edge to closer to 0.015 to 0.02.

Included below are the original posts that I based my procedure on.

Quench Plates/Compressed Air

HT 154cm

I hope this answers all of your questions.

Justin Gardner
Old 05-12-2004, 02:07 AM
Guru

I have a question for you on the steel plates as I will be doing my first stainless Heat Treat this Saturday. You said the dimensions were 2X6X18. So did you put the knife spine down on something with the two plates with the 2" portion on the table as well, with one on each side of the knife. Or did you have the 6" side of one plate on the table with the knife sandwitched in between with the second plate on top. Do you (or anyone else) know why one way might work better than another?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Steel Addict

Wow - you didn't mess around! Thanks for the informative answer.

I had begun to wonder if people like to temper just a little higher on their filet knives, due to the thin blade, edge geometry, and flex of a filet knife.

Tags
blade, fishing knife, knife, knives