MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 10-24-2002, 05:09 AM
Skilled

Kydex Liner!I s there a product

Is there a product that can be used to line kydex sheaths? If there is such a thing, what is the best way to attach it to the sheath? Should the liner material be water repellent?
Ken

Old 10-25-2002, 11:30 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
Hi Ken!
Good to see you in these parts! The liner for kydex sheaths has been a long debated issue. Some use a felt type material, others use a velvet like stuff with some success. I've seen leather used but better than any material it holds moisture! Not good. And it does an especially good job inside the water tight confines of a plastic sheath.
The best thing when using a lined kydex sheath is to keep the knife clean, as with all sheaths, and dry. The one time you insert a dirty knife, the sheath will forever be ruined and will never stop scratching the knife.
The kydex itself will not scratch a knife, the rub marks one sees on knives in kydex are usually from dirt. One exception is etched, or bead blasted knives, the finish is delicate enough to be affected by the hard plastic.
Best thing I have seen is the velvet lined sheaths with a hole at the tip, this allows for the sheath to be washed out and will not kill the material. Contact cement is the best thing so far to attach the lining, just be sure to scuff up the kydex before applying the glue.
Most of my experience is with the opposite, I have done kydex lined leather sheaths! Quiet and pretty and tough at the same time!
Hope this helps,
Dwayne

Old 10-25-2002, 12:02 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the reply and info, Dwayne. All in all, sounds like a bunch of xtra work and detail. Will only use the lined sheaths on custom orders. Be well buddy.
Ken (wwjd)

Old 10-25-2002, 08:30 PM

Hey Ken - what Dwayne said !! I've also read recently that at least one kydex maker has stopped using eyelets in favor of screws. His reasoning is, as Dwayne said, the entire sheath can be cleaned more easily and thoroughly.
But bottom line for me -- for hard use, maybe military knives -- kydex is fine if a few scratches are no biggee. But for fine custom blades, or any blade for which scratching is not an option -- LEATHER !
MtMike

Old 10-26-2002, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

I've never used Kydex, I only use leather and only line it with rawhide when necessary, but I was wondering if something like Cordura wouldn't work as a liner for Kydex. Waterproof it and glue it in? Might be worth a try.

Even on leather though you can get it to scratch metal if you keep shoving it in when it's dirty or just after years of use. It's one of the reasons I seal the inside as well as the outside cause sealing helps it keep frompicking up moisture and crud. I have packed a knife and/or a gun for years in all kinds of country from the very wet Pacific NW to the really dusty High Desert where I now live and eventually even the best made sheaths/holsters will build up crud inside, but then all my gear is using gear and the scratchs and wear are just part of everyday life.

Crud buildup is also the reason I don't like using soft leathers like goat or buckskin for lining a gun holster - the oil and dirt build up even faster and act just like valve grinding compounds.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 10-31-2002, 05:45 AM
Skilled

Thank you gentlemen, for the replys and opinions.
Ken (wjd)

Tags
knife, knives