MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Custom Projects

Custom Projects A place to meet for special project threads.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Delbert Ealy has done some meteorite blades maybe we could get a little input from him.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Registered

hmm I guess I spoke a lil soon, the dealer guy tests the nickel iron content but said he could not produce an accurate carbon content reading. From said meteorite dealer, "I don?t know the carbon content of my meteorites . . . And I would be very suspicious of any carbon analysis. Carbon separates out of iron meteorites into graphite inclusions. It would take a very large sample to produce an accurate carbon content. One might do as well at trying to quantify inclusions."

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=468919 Some interesting info from Delbert Ealy

Last edited by SmokinSoldier; 10-16-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:27 PM

Well..., back to the 'san mai' idea for me...

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Most of what I have read.Is about meteorite damascus.85% O1 or 1095 and 15% iron meteorite.
I'm thinking you'd need about a golfball size meteorite to do a 6" blade.of san-mai.Alot less to do damascus.Lets talk cash,What does a meteorite that size cost?Or even half that size for a damascus blend?Soldier you may have become an unknowing supplier of meteorite.If you can get it at a reasonable cost.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Registered

well meteorites sell by weight more than size, so if you toss me some numbers I can probably get some results. I've seen some 4x4x2 1320gm iron meteorites for round 100$ tho.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Hall of Famer

Thats not as bad as I expected.That would be plenty for 3 or 4 blades.OK I could deal with that.I have to do some research on it but,a meteorite knife could be a fun challange.I am getting by butt kicked right now by a traditional tanto blade.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Steel Addict

Posted by me on bladeforums just in case you didn't hit the link.
I have forged 15-20 lbs of meteorite down for making damascus. It is definately the most challenging material I have worked. Tim Zowada did write an excellent article on making meteorite damascus, and he has forged alot more of the stuff into damascus than I have. It takes getting used to and at $100+ a pound I would not recommend it unless you have a good deal of experience making damascus.
As far as the meteorite in the damascus goes, it loses the cool windmanstatten pattern, but it has excellent contrast and its cool to have a usable blade with stuff that fell from the sky. I have been making a billet of it once a year, when the mood strikes me.
Thanks,
Del
All of the meteorite I have worked; gibeon, nantan, odessa, campo de cielo have had no dicernable carbon content in the metal itself, however most have had graphite inclusions. To produce metal from the meteorite you will lose half of it in the forging. Also you will HAVE to mix it with a high carbon steel to produce a usable blade. I will not try to dissuade you from attempting this project, mostly because the one thing I am best at is doing things people tell me not to, however I do make damascus full-time and this is still the most difficult thing for me to do. Any damascus you see posted will be easier than doing meteorite damascus.
If I can help you with this project in any way please feel free to contact me. email is best to start with.
Thanks,
Del

Delbert Ealy
www.ealyknives.com
custom damascus in high carbon tool steels
www.mokume-jewelry.com
gold, silver, and palladium mokume rings for under $1000
Old 04-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Enthusiast

not sure if mentioned but Tim Zowanda had some for sale last year when i contacted him for some i think at $100 a pound, needing 1 pound for every 5 pound billet i believe he said.

Takach Forge Since 2004 www.takachforge.com

Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Master

R.C. Damascus probably has some mosaic Damascus made up similar to what Del said from the South American found meteorite. I have used several pieces of it in collector folders. It is most pretty but what the edge holding on it is like I haven't tested for. This is in a composite bar where the meteorite is in an strip in the middle. That's Rob Calcinore . I find his Damascus bars to be of good quality. Frank

Old 04-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Skilled

I have made up 2 billets of meteoritic damascus with meteor filings and steel powder. The first I used as san mai and the second I used for fittings. I did see a chem analysis on the material I have and it came to .001% carbon. Another words pure ferrite it does have 2% nickel and a few other trace elements.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Master

By the way there are many types of meteorite that do not have a Widminstaten pattern and the South American stuff doesn't. Frank

Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Skilled

The material I have has not pattern at all. This is why I use it in powder or chip form.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Steel Addict

DO IT!

I think doing some research with Google will reveal a lot.
I've talked to some of those master smiths, and one of them says it's quite easy to work meteorite.
Us humans on the other hand all seem to agree that it's a process requiring finesse and skill.

Also, if you plan to melt it down, know this:
90% of the iron found in the earth's crust is of extra terrestrial origin, or so I've read researching this very thing. ANY steel you get will therefore likely have a lot of meteoric content to it.

There are planty of shops that would rent you the space and tools to use, and if you tell them about your project might be interested enough to donate time and tools for the project. Follow your dreams. It's how these masters got that title.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives