MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:09 PM

Best blade length for fixed blade hunter

Looking for every ones idea of the ideal blade length for a general purpose hunting knife like a drop point hunter.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Skilled

4 1/2" seems to be the consensus of those guys who have me make them for actual use.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Same here. Either 4" or 4.5" ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

For grins I checked my favorite hunting knife that I've used for at least 3 decades and it is slightly over 4 1/2".

Old 10-31-2015, 05:21 AM
Enthusiast

I have always liked a knife that is a little under 4" and above 3 1/2". But I might be sort of odd when it comes to hunting knives. Ed
Old 10-31-2015, 08:42 AM

For me, 3 1/2" to 4 1/2".
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 AM

I find most of your answers to be quite surprising. I checked all of my hunters and with the exception of one Mora Knife, (which is right at 4"and I've never used on game), most of the others are between 3" & 3-1/2" with a few shorter then that. My two favorites are a custom made by Paul Geortz which is based on a Loveless semi skinner. It comes in at exactly 3-1/2". The other is a copy of a Loveless drop point hunter and it is just over 3-1/4". With these two knives I've gutted and skinned a dozen or so deer and one elk and never felt I needed anything longer. The reason I asked the question to begin with was because I have a couple hunting buddy's who's knives are in that 4-1/2" to 5" range and the felt really big in my hand. Plus I'm going to be building one of the Jantz, USA made blades and was trying to decide between their pattern 21 at 3-1/8" and pattern 22 at 3-1/2". I never thought of going that much bigger. I guess it's the old blonde versus brunette, chocolate versus vanilla.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:02 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlbrooks53 View Post
I find most of your answers to be quite surprising. I checked all of my hunters and with the exception of one Mora Knife, (which is right at 4"and I've never used on game), most of the others are between 3" & 3-1/2" with a few shorter then that. My two favorites are a custom made by Paul Geortz which is based on a Loveless semi skinner. It comes in at exactly 3-1/2". The other is a copy of a Loveless drop point hunter and it is just over 3-1/4". With these two knives I've gutted and skinned a dozen or so deer and one elk and never felt I needed anything longer. The reason I asked the question to begin with was because I have a couple hunting buddy's who's knives are in that 4-1/2" to 5" range and the felt really big in my hand. Plus I'm going to be building one of the Jantz, USA made blades and was trying to decide between their pattern 21 at 3-1/8" and pattern 22 at 3-1/2". I never thought of going that much bigger. I guess it's the old blonde versus brunette, chocolate versus vanilla.
I think the question was for a general hunter. For skinners, 3 - 3 1/2" seems to be what is preferred. Certainly the game you are after and the knifes intended use has an effect. What we can all agree on, a 8" Bowie isn't the best tool for cleaning game.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

I used to use smaller knives but One day I killed a monster, 13 points and a very big body. I just clipped his back and broke it so I needed to finish him quick. I never cut a throat and I was NOT going to start with this one I was hopping to mount. The knife I had In my pocket was a 2 3/4 in lock blade and it was to short. I went in right behind the right shoulder and was holding the knife by the end of the handle and almost lost it in the rib cage. I have carried a little larger knife ever sense. But I agree a 2 3/4 in blade is plenty for field dressing a deer. Ed

He is on my wall and the kids named him Frankie.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Enthusiast

To finish off quick is what the Germanic Saufanger designed for. Here in my blog I explain about it:

http://colonel666.blogspot.com/2014/...d19affa166d2c4

Tags
art, blade, blades, bowie, building, custom, drop point, fixed, fixed blade, hand, handle, hunter, hunting, hunting knife, hunting knives, knife, knives, made, make, mount, pattern, skinner, usa