MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 08-29-2004, 10:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Ball Bearings In a Can ??

Hey guys just wondering if anyone had tried small ball bearings in a can with powder around them? Would you get dots? I dont think so. Im thinking more of an elongated oval mabe, or possibly even large bandings kinda like real big cable.

Anyone ever tried this? Just wondering what it might look like.

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-30-2004, 08:21 AM
Steel Addict

This is not in powder but I would think the results would be quite close.

Ball Bearing Damascus

But since I have never made any I wouldn't know. Sounds interesting though.

Thanks Larrin I think I fixed it.

Last edited by VSMBlades; 08-30-2004 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondG Knives
Would you get dots? I dont think so. Im thinking more of an elongated oval mabe, or possibly even large bandings kinda like real big cable.
Well I guess your wrong according to that tutorial. Definitely dots. Maybe if you forged the thing to death, but ball bearings are pretty stiff, you'd still get dots after forging. Oh, and if you click the link to that tutorial it goes to something like http://ball bearings/ you have to copy it and paste it in the browser.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:20 AM
Steel Addict

Mike,

I really like your idea and it may get me to make my first can billet. I would think you could do all kinds of stuff with bearing elements as long as they were not hard chromed. You could do them in a round can and close pack them(Like they do on their own if you vibrate the container) but after one level was seated you would add powder and shake again. I have no idea what it would end up looking like but I like the idea of it.

The tutorial dosent use powder so I am not certain if the patern would be the same. The flat bar in the tutorial constrains the balls somewhat and could limit their deformation.

Old 08-31-2004, 02:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
OK, I gave it a shot!
I didnt have enough ball bearings, so I added some chainsaw chain. cut the chain into 3" pieces so they would curl inside the can, then layered chainsaw chain, ball bearings, chainsaw chain , ball bearings. The ball bearings were small enough to fill in the areas left around the chain, so it wasnt actually a layered look, then I mixed 4 spoons of 1084 with 1 spoon of 4600E hoping to get a lighter colored filler without loosing too much carbon. started with a 2x2x4 can ended up with a billet @ 16" long x 1.25x1.25 square. cut the very end off of the bar then cut the bar in half. The half that was still attatched to the handle, I proceeded to press flat, into a bar @ 14" long x 1.5" wide x little less than 1/2 thick. I then ground this down a bit to clean it up, some pattering was visible, but it was spotty, not visible all along the length of the bar. When I forge this into shape, and grind my bevels clean, I hope more pattern will be exposed. What was visible looked really cool, kinda ovals with a cable look mixed in between them.

Question: Did I make a mistake by mixing the 1084 and the 4600E? WIll I have lost too much carbon for a good blade steel? I havnt forged past the bar stage, so I could weld a layer of a more suitable blade steel to it if need be.

Question: Will I see more pattern after I forge to shape and grind?

Thanks and God Bless

Mike

Old 08-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Steel Addict

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!!

wow didn't think you would get something together this fast. I got to get on the ball.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives