MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Newbie with a question (or two)

Hi - I joined this forum for two reasons - to get some help on whether or not to try and remove some marks on the blade of a custom knife and to possibly list a few custom knives I have for sale.

But, I see that this is mainly a forum for knife makers. So, can I post my question about the blade and can I list knives for sale that I didn't personally make? The knives belonged to my brother, who passed away about a year ago (RIP, buddy).

Thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Hall of Famer

I'd say yes. You can ask questions here. And there is a for sale section here also just scroll down.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Yes, this is the appropriate place for the questions. We have other forums for sales, check the list box at the bottom of this page ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Registered

Thank you for responding to my post. Here is a picture of my Alex Collins knife that has some discoloration on the blade. It looks like corrosion but is smooth to the touch. I'm wondering if I should sell it "as-is" rather than risk trying to get it fixed myself. Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Registered

Newbie...Here

Hellow friends,
Whats up! Well I just join this community and not much familiar to this forum. Alright! guide me whenever I put an error or mistake and forgive me don't bark on me please.
Anyway. Have a blessed day.

Last edited by joyee; 11-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Joyee, welcome to the forum. We try very hard not to bark at people here. Use the Search feature at first to look up any information you want, that should find most of the answers to common questions a newbie would ask. When that doesn't find what you need, start a new thread and post your question.

KathyOR, my guess is that whatever that mess is the only way to get it out would be by sanding the area first and then re-polishing. You'll never be able to do a clean job of that by hand. That's the problem with mirror finishes: any small mark makes them look bad and removing the mark can necessitate re-finishing the entire blade (especially on older knives). When you re-polish that area it will probably look different than the rest of the blade and so re-polishing the entire blade may be required.

Whether or not you have to polish the entire blade, what ever polishing you do will require the tools and skills of a professional level knife maker if you want the knife to continue looking the way it should. Notice the sharply defined grind line that marks the bevel. Only a skilled maker can mirror polish a blade and keep that line sharp, most will just round it out. Do that on one side of the blade and you'll have to do it on both sides.

You will be likely to spend a major portion of the money trying to repair that mark properly as you will get for the knife when you sell it. My advice would be to sell it as it is....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered

Hi Ray - thank you for your help. I had a feeling that getting the blade cleaned would be a big deal. So, I will just sell it as-is.

Tags
advice, art, bevel, blade, common, custom, custom knife, custom knives, for sale, hand, knife, knives, mirror, newbie, post, repair, tools