MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Master

The burls we got have been dead for years so they are actually fairly punky/rotten these ones wont check and split as bad when they dry so we could slab them and kiln dry them. If your harvesting fairly new burls that are still solid with no rot they will split and crack really bad. The best way for them to dry is really slow. So some people will cover all of the exposed wood with wax and place it in a cool dry place for literally a couple years. Letting it dry slowly through the bark. You can have the burl slabbed out about two times as thick as you want your finished wood to be and have it kiln dried but alot of it will crack and check.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Steel Addict

Ok, so when/if I go harvesting for burls, I should be on the lookout for dead trees then right? I definitely have a ton of dead trees on my land, I guess spotting the burls is the trick. Good info, thank you
Old 03-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Master

The deader the better!!! lol No problem man its a fun hunt trying to find nice big burls. The large root burls for lack of a better name are full of alot of crazy figured wood. Not all trees have them just watch for the ones that get really big and nasty looking right at the ground.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Bocote Knife

Boiled Linseed oil seems to work pretty well for bocote. Here is a knife I just completed with bocote

http://ssknives.wordpress.com/2012/03/17/small-eds/
Old 03-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast

Slacker you in the best state in the country for mesquite burls
Old 03-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Master

I read somewhere that teak oil also works good on bocote. I dont know if teak oil is just another finish made up of boiled linseed oil, thinners and a dryer maybe some other oils and varnish too? Now days it seems like all the oil finished are different then they were ages ago. Just like tung oil, most of it has lots of boiled linseed oil in it.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskbuster View Post
Slacker you in the best state in the country for mesquite burls
Thats exactly what I was thinking! My property is littered with those devil trees. Only problem harvesting a mesquite burl will be handling the pain of the thorns!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:26 PM

@theslacker

Yes you can kiln dry quicker from what I have read if you have small enough pieces you can use a kitchen oven @ 200 degrees 6-8 hours I wouldn't try this on anything thicker than 2" but an added with shouldn't cause a problem I would imagine a 2x4 would have about the same dry time as a 2x10 but anything thicker I would do 2 sessions of drying time of 4-6 hours or 6-8 depending on the size I have no actual experience in drying wood I'm only speaking from theory that I have read hope it helps though
Old 03-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Steel Addict

I'll definitely give it a shot. If I manage to wrangle up any decent amount of burls, it wouldn't hurt to try it out on a piece. Thanks for the info
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
Enthusiast

when i get low on mesquite burls i just load the grandson ,the dogs and hit the roads lookin for hog tracks and old stumps pushed up on the fencerow .plenty of burls and occasionaly some SWINE

Tags
brass, guard, handle, ironwood, knife, knives, kydex, kydex sheath, scales, sheath, steel