MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:06 PM

what size pres sin your videos

hello Ed,

what size is the green press in your videos? I am in the process of building a press and was thinking of doing around 30 ton press. yours looks like it moves metal pretty effortlessly. i have access to large I beam and buddies who do industrial type welding so doing the build should be no problem. Thanks Pete
Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My press is adjustable 25 to 30 tons, and most of the time it's set to about 25 ton. There are times when I wish for more tonnage, but those time are few. Unless you have a special purpose in mind like making huge loafs of damascus, I think that much more than 30 tons will cause more problems than it solves. Those problems being wanting to get too much done in a single pass......especially if your working with damascus. You can wreck a billet of damscus quickly by pressing too much at one time...the lower tonnage press will keep you from doing that. I always kinda chuckle when I read that someone is going to build an 80 or 100 ton press, because in their mind, they are thinking "I can get so much done with a single press!". What really happens is that a lot of billets get wrecked before they understand that their trying to do too much, too quick. If you have a specific need to high tonnage on a press, and understand it, then I say go for it. Otherwise its best to stick with 30 tons or less and you'll be doing yourself a favor.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 07-09-2008, 05:35 AM
Skilled

Good advice, Ed.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 07-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Skilled

You do not have to be doing damascus to ruin steel with a high tonnage press. I have a 50 ton and it will literally tear a piece of steel apart if you try to press too much at a time. Though I like having the pressure when doing big billets I rarely get the pressure over 1000psi on the gage when doing most work.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.