MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Steel Addict

Foaming at the mounth...

I am really glad I found this site. I have been lurking for a while. I am in the process of closing my goldsmithing studio, retiring, and moving to my home shop.. I want new directions and challenges. And knife-making is on the top of the list.

I am not to good at this computer thingy and have a problem posting pictures...but I will get it down. I plan on documenting the whole process in this post, but first a couple of million questions...

Has anyone ever used lapidary equipment for "knife making"? I can see a lot of uses for it but can't find any information by searching. With my computer skills that's not surprising.

I have found a lot of information on the "best" beginner knife steel to use, but I don't know the terminology. Suggestions? My first knife will be 3/16 to 1/8" inch in with and at least 9" total length and will be a general duty camp knife.

I have a casting oven that will go up to 2000 degrees with a programer, but I can't find information on a heat treating process. Is this a viable method of heat treating or should I figure out how to build a forge?

I am in the process of setting up my shop and have a scroll saw, a 10" and 4" belt sander, drill press, foredom flex-shat machine with a broad assortment of diamond and HS burrs, a 20 ton press, 4" table saw, along with a ton of files and hand tools that are used in goldsmithing. If anyone else has some suggestions as to something I NEED, not want , please let me know.

I know that I should search more, but I am closing the stud ion on June 30,2012 and am doing a million things at once, so any help will be greatly appreciated. AND I AM FOAMING AT THE MOUTH TO GET STARTED...
Edit/Delete Message
Old 05-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Lapidary equipment can be useful in knife making but mostly when you get to the fancy stuff. Even with your background I'd suggest staying away from the fancy stuff until you can make a plain but highly functional knife.

The equipment you have is a good start. The most notable equipment that you will need most will be a metal cutting bandsaw and a 2x72" belt sander. The 2x72" belt sander is THE central power tool in almost every knife maker's shop. You may want to argue about that since you already have some belt sander's but save the argument until after you've tried to use what you have.

Your casting oven will probably do the job for you on heat treating as long as the interior is the right size for the blades you want to make. Some people do use forges for heat treating but that's not what a forge is good at, nothing beats an electric oven (except maybe salt pots).

Keep the first knife relatively small, simple, and clean. Don't make it a labor of love because for it to teach you anything you'll need to either destroy it or come real close to it ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Hall of Famer

You haven't said whether or not you will be doing just stock removal or if you will also be doing forging. Of course starting out one way doesn't mean that you can't go over to the other method of production or even use them both. That will be very influential on your steel selection.

As far as how useful your jewelry equipment will be, it will depend on what you want to do. There are some art knives that are being produce that are jewelry. They're engraved, tooled, inlaid, and even have stones set in them. Some people cast furniture for their knives so even your casting equipment could come in handy. It depends on what you want to do but I agree with Ray, learn to make knives first. Personally, I would hold onto your jewelry making equipment until I was certain that you will not be using it for knife making.

Another tool that Ray didn't mention that you will need is a good library on knife making. There are good books a videos out there. Look on Amazon, Jantz, USA Knife Maker Supply, or other knife making supply houses and check out what they have. Remember that forging knives requires stock removal also so, even though you may not be interested in forging blades, you can still get a lot of useful information from books of forging blades. I doubt that you jumped into making jewelry without any instruction or studying texts; you need to do the same thing with knife making.

Doug

Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Administrator

From my observations, guys who have cut their teeth working with casting precious metals and/or jewelry crafting make excellent knife makers.

Welcome to the forums!

PS - Great thread title... attention grabbing!!!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

First off, Welcome to the forums! You sound like you are pretty much set on tools for knifemaking. Many of us on here started out with very little equipment and built up over the years. The belt sander that you have is goin to be your best friend in this. As for information on heat treatment, I suggest Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel by John D. Verhoeven. You can download a copy of it to your computer and read through it whenever you need information, or just want to learn more about the heat treating process.

The size that you gave for your first blade sounds like a good starting size, but I would suggest something slightly thicker, that way you have a little more area on the steel where you can practice your grinds. This is just my opinion though. I have found that when people new to knifemaking start, a lot of them will use a thin steel and simply put an edge on it once it is shaped. This can be a serviceable knife, but once they start working with thicker stock, they will have some difficulty from not learning to do a hollow or flat grind. But, like I said, this is just my opinion.

Also, if you have an old or worn out file of the same general size as the blade you want, you can practice shaping it on that. This will give you an idea of what it will be like to shape your blade by hand without the waste of your good knife steel. There is nothing wrong with getting a feel for the way the blade handles with a piece of mystery metal, then once you have a bit of experience going to the better stuff. It may take up more of your time that you could be working on your other knife, but it will also allow you to get in some practice without any loss of money. Either way, Im sure you will have fun with this hobby!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Skilled

You have a lot to start with but you will be happy to know you will never have enough in the tools department...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome!

Search the internet for heat treat info on the steel you choose. It's all there.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome!

Search the internet for heat treat info on the steel you choose. It's all there.

I've been making gold and silver rins for years myself.

Tags
art, blade, camp knife, choose, diamond, drill, edge, files, flat grind, forge, forging, heat treat, hobby, how to, knife, knife making, knifemaking, knives, press, steel, stock removal, supply, teach