MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Balisong

Hi all I am a new member just joined today and already have a question hope some one can help me. Ijust picked up this Balisong butterfly knife and was wondering if anyone could tell me when it was made and the value. It is marked on the box. Gutman Cutlery. It has what I think are Bone Handles and has the original Wooden Box and Leather Sheath. thanks in advance.

Last edited by bold knife; 02-04-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:42 AM
Skilled

Welcome to the Forums.., and from your description.., it sounds like a model Gutmann called..."The Original Balisong".., made in the Filipino tradition of using folded U-Shape type brass channel material. There were a few sizes of those.., from up to about a 5" blade, and as small as 3" if I remember right.

The value of the piece depends primarily on how much someone that collects Balisongs wants one. The quality of the pinning at the pivots isn't that good on those, and they tend to fall apart (or get very loose) if they are carried and used a lot. The blade is not stainless, so it's a good idea to store it properly. They do rust easily.

Very nice collectible piece though, and I've seen MINTY "Like New", with the slide-top wooden box, leather sheath, papers, etc., go for around $150 in the past, but not recently.

They were made in the 80's.., and I don't believe they were made at any time prior to the 80's (although Gutmann was around a long time).

Hope that helps.., and good find.

They are fun knives, and generally they flip "OK" if you stretch the pins a tiny bit ~~> they tend to come pretty tight in the pivot area brand new. They truly are very traditional in the Filipino-Handmade-Sense, so a nice knife to add to any Balisong collection.

I've got a bunch of them myself somewhere ...

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 02-05-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Balisong

Thanks Pete The info. is very helpfull The knife was made by Gutman it says so on the boix. now I have a idea on its value if I ever want to sell it. ED

Old 05-24-2014, 03:06 AM

Hey, I was just wondering if you guys actually saw a Balisong that is made in Batangas Philippines. I have it as a gift and it was so amazing, it was beautifully built and the blade seems really sharp. I tested it in my mustache and men it was indeed really sharp.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives, made, sharp