MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

yen and yang of wrought iron

I spent a few hours over at a friends place yesterday. He lives in Damascus. He gave me a little history lesson saying that Damascus was one of the first area's home steaded for folks coming over the Oregon Trail. Main reason I went over there was he was starting to knock down some old cement foundation walls. He had showed me a wagon wheel and a horse shoe that you could see in the cement wall. We only worked a couple hours but got most of one section down. Got the wagon wheel, 4 or 5 horse shoes, 8 hay rake tines, some real odd ball steel or iron things, one cross cut saw, and some bar stock iron that was most likely used for farming. I was pretty positive the wagon wheel would be wrought iron but also checked the iron bar stock. Right off the bat one was for sure was wrought iron. The other I had thought was just iron until I decided to re check it this morning. It turned out to be wrought iron also. The piece I re checked is the one that is stacked. The piece sitting on top was from the cut I did yesterday. The fiberous looking grain is what your looking for to determine if its wrought iron.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Skilled

i love wrought

im fortunate to live on a 220 yr old farm and theres lots of it in various forms all over the place.
half the fun is finding it hehe. like treasure hunting.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender
i love wrought

im fortunate to live on a 220 yr old farm and theres lots of it in various forms all over the place.
half the fun is finding it hehe. like treasure hunting.
I feel the sameway. Bladesmiths are a strange bunch. We get excited about crap that most people think is just junk.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Skilled

no doubt lol, found a sled runner last week before the snow returned, yes its snowing again here :/ to most ppl its a varibly thick peice of old rusty metal, to me its well anything i want it to be! lol.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Its almost 80 here today. I just unloaded a few piece of crap out of my truck. I'm thinking more of it is WI.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Steel Addict

treasure hunt

Ray, Sounds like you had an Easter egg hunt for big boys. What fun, working up a sweat, and finding treasure! Now where did they put that old shear steel saw blade???
Old 04-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brandt
Ray, Sounds like you had an Easter egg hunt for big boys. What fun, working up a sweat, and finding treasure! Now where did they put that old shear steel saw blade???
The shear steel saw blade wasn't on my mind until now. I think we only worked on a tenth of whats still there. I'm sure there's a lot more good s##t to be found.

Tags
blade, knife, knives