MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Guru

Zebra bone and how good it is.

Jantz supply sells some nice looking zebra bone and I was thinking of acquiring one and cut it in half for the handles on 2 of my Damascus knives I made. Put some spacers in and sand the bone's end for a brass plate or possibly a pommel, it depends on the shape. I tend to sometimes let the knife and handle tell me what's the best look and use.

Has anyone here ever used Zebra bone and can you tell me if it's like bovine bone or denser like camel bone? I can't seem to find camel bone whole, but if I did I'm sure it's exorbitant. Camel is always slabbed for scales, but I'm making hidden tangs. The zebra bone is reasonably priced and Jantz shows pictures of the bone you are buying, so that's a plus.

Is the marrow dense or more open like bovine bone is? I'm just wondering if it needs to be stabilized or if just soaking it with some CA glue would be sufficient. Scales are one thing, but I've never used the whole bone for a handle. Like are they slippery and need checkering? Yes they are art knives and will be as beautiful as I can do, but I still make them to be used and do not want a failure if a buyer actually wants to have the coolest knife in hunting camp and actually skins a Bison or something.

As an added question Jantz sells many different African plains animal bones like impala, kudu, giraffe and wildebeest. So does anyone have experience with any of them? Any info would be helpful, especially on the Zebra.

Tags
art, blade, bone, brass, cheap, damascus, giraffe, glue, handles, hidden, hunting, ivory, knife, knives, made, make, making, pommel, resin, sand, scales, spacers, supply, whole bone, wildebeest