MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 01-11-2017, 11:03 AM
Skilled

You could order a riveted "C" sheath for just about any model until the riveted option was discontinued in about 1972. These riveted "C" sheaths were standard on Models 14, 15, 17, 18... But there are examples of riveted "C" sheaths used in most models during this Vietnam-era time period. I have seen several pictures of model 2 riveted "C" sheaths, though not common. (note: I think the 23rd printing of the catalogue in about 1975 was the first to show the riveted sheaths had been discontinued).

This knife seemingly has a separate "S" and a type 3 (post early 1966) blade stamp which probably indicates a late '60s-or possibly a very early '70s date. Gold paracord on the sheath could indicate an early 1970-71 date for package but cords can be replaced. My conclusion is the sheath could be authentic...too bad he does not show a stone, though as with paracords stones are unreliable for dating purpse.

The combination of Delrin handle and the riveted "C" sheath for model 2 (assuming these rivets are original, not added later... pictures are so bad it is difficult to confirm authenticity) makes the package unusual. But not THAT unusual.

Last edited by Jacknola; 01-11-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Skilled

Here are some examples of riveted "C" sheaths for model 2 knives, all from the 1960s.

The Johnson "C" sheath was not available before about early 1963 and most were made after introduction of the baby dot snap (I think). There are some Johnson-made split backs with rivets and brown buttons. But the only ones I've seen pictures of are for model 15 or 17.

Some shysters have attempted to add rivets to a post-1972 "C" sheath. This can be detected easily by looking at the stitching on the knife pocket at the throat, and on the belt loop at the top where the rivets are placed. The post-1972 "C" sheaths are double reversed stitched at these points whereas the true riveted "C" sheath is not.

Here is the back of the sheath for the $10,000 (LOL) Delrin pictured above. The picture is so poor that it is hard to be sure about the stitching at that point. When someone asks such an absurd price and then post crappy pictures ... it just reinforces my opinion.

Regards

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Skilled

I was going back and forth with the seller about his Randall's and here was what I was finally able to get out of him:

New message from: grizzlyman29 (791)

I'm fishing for a whale my friend. Sometime you can throw out bait to a big fish and sometime they bit and other times they don,t. At the end of the day if it doesn't sell I get to keep it. I added more bait to the hatchet did you see the Lake fixed blade. Take care

I didn't bother to edit his reply, as much as I wanted to play "Mr. Spellcheck" lol
Old 01-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Enthusiast

I see he's added a belt knife for only $6500!!
So . . how many whales are really out there??
With Ebay giving 50 free listings its a wonder there aren't more examples showing up.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Skilled

SAVE THE WHALES!

Collect the whole set!
Old 01-14-2017, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta2bill View Post
SAVE THE WHALES!

Collect the whole set!
Well stated!!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM
Skilled

I received an E-mail from a collector who hasn't posted here for 10 years. or so, offering a good picture of the mysterious low-S model 8 with Delrin handle that has appeared often in this line. The collector is Joe Cohn, and the knife is a historically significant Delrin. Some fuzzy pictures of it have been posted several times in this line because it helps take the date of the use of Delrin back into the early '60s. Those fuzzy pictures were borrowed from a group shot taken 10 years ago (see page 1, post #15) which was the only picture I could find on the internet...though I found several written references to this knife. But, beyond historical value, this is a dang fine and unique knife that Joe still owns.

Joe wrote that he acquired this knife in a trade back in 2005 or so. The gentleman he traded had gotten the knife from Rhett Stidham who later dated this knife in an on-line discussion to about 1964, maybe early 1965 at latest. I agree and the blade stamp also says pre-1966. I am so pleased to now have a decent picture of this knife. Thanks to Joe for sending this...
any more comments, history, context would be very welcome.

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-01-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Skilled

Joe Cohn forwarded some additional pictures of his low-S m8-4. I hope to get some more later. If so, I'll add them to this post.

My 3-7 circa 1960-61, has an interesting feature visible looking at butt of handle. There is a seam down the middle, as if the handle was originally in two parts, see picture below. None of the other Delrin knives I've seen have this feature, they all appear to be a solid piece of Delrin ... So the seam in the old 3-7 could have had something to do with experimentation with the material early on. I assume that only the "SS" knife and this one of Joe's might have that feature.

Joe sent me a picture of the butt of his knife and no seam seems (yuk yuk) to be visible... so I guess the feature of the 3-6 is unique...

...which raises an interesting question. Just how does the shop make one-piece handles, wood, Micarda, Delrin, horn, etc.? Do they drill a hole in the tang, and then use a rat-tail file or something to shape it to fit the tang? Never really thought about it...

Last edited by Jacknola; 08-02-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Skilled

On another site, Michael Mason just posted a Delrin model 21 he discovered and acquired at Blade this year (2017). Of special interest is the low ETCHED "S." This is an important knife for historical reasons because we have shown the use of Delrin apparently went back to 1960-61, at least on an experimental basis. This knife adds an additional data point indicating the use of Delrin 1963-5 or so, far earlier than cataloged. Of additional interest are the 5 spacers. ..and stamp is type 1, pre 1966...it all adds data points. Also, the drilled wrist thong hole in the Delrin confirms it is probably shop feature, not user addition. Great knife.

I've updated the "Catalog of Delrin" picture grouping posted on the previous page.

This is the only other Delrin found so far with a wrist thong hole drilled directly through the handle. Another interesting and unusual feature for this m21.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-26-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Skilled

This line has been restored. Curse photobucket and all the scam - ransom holding - people associated with that site.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:23 AM

Well done Jack!

Here's what happens next.

The attack on the Bucket Brigade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLvGnro4Cgw

Can any of you folks spot Jack in the crowd?

And Jack, please don't forget the "Magic Randall"!

Thanks!

David

Old 07-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Skilled

Well done Sir!
Old 08-06-2017, 01:21 PM

This Display was made for an authorized dealer in 1971-1972. The knives were pulled from the then current production over a 6 month period and assembled for the display.
It is inspired by the Randall catalog fold out in the 19th printing as well as the next few printings
All Stainless Blades have separate S and the handles that were ivory in the catalog are Delrin on the Display. The 2-5, 6-9 Carving Set, 12-6, and the 13-12 are Delrin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Labels.jpg (243.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Skilled

How fantastic would it be to own that board today?!?
Old 08-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Perry Miller included this comment in his authentication,
"It is, by far, the most interesting and unique Randall item that I've authenticated to date."
His authentication fills a Binder, with the original correspondence and invoice.

Tags
back, bee, blade, bowie, brand, brass, chain, forged, handle, handle material, handles, ivory, knife, knives, made, material, micarta, model 7, nylon, post, randall, sheath, shop, spacer, tang