MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Skilled

OT How I fix a Ford F250 6-liter Turbo Diesel

5 years ago I purchased my first Full Size Pick-up. A dream I have had for many years. It is very similar to this one.

Well it was a 2004 F250 with 79k on the odometer. I purchased it and started finding little things that made me say HMMMM. First I ran the front tires off in about 5k miles then took it in and had to get the ball joints replaced. Luckily I purchased the extended warranty. Then they started having problems again and they repaired it once more, HMMMMM. Then towing our 21' travel trailer the turbo blew a hose. HMMMM. I kept saying oh it is just a few little things. So the car dealership I purchased it from went out of business and the front end goes out AGAIN. Took it to the ford dealership and the ball joints were not repaired properly and needed to be replaced AGAIN. HMMMMM... So I had to fork out $2k to get it repaired because the problem was caused by the nut on the end of the tie rod backing out. No cotter pin installed. The warranty does not cover loosening of nuts!! So a few minor problems pop up, EGR goes out $250, brakes 9normal wear and tear) steering box (warranty) and so forth. Fast forward to this summer. We purchase a new travel trailer with the intention of pulling it with this truck. It only weighs 6k and is only 1/2 the rated capacity of the truck. Get to within 15 miles of our destination and POW blew the turbo hose again HMMMMM. Limp into the camp at 45 MPH then have to drive back into town to try and find a new hose all at less than 45mph. Fix that and decide I need to take it into a mechanic when We get home just to have it gone through. My SIL works for NAPA so I ask for a good mech. He asks around NO ONE WOULD WORK ON IT!!!! They all said the same thing GET RID OF IT!! Some Ford Dealers in the area would not even take it in on trade.

SO I finally found someone who could help me out. Took me all day last Thursday but HERE IS HOW I FIX AN F250 6L Diesel.
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

Brand Spanky New 2012 Dodge 3500 SLT Bighorn edition. 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4x4 with lots of bells and whistles. And 40 miles on the odometer.

Looking forward to a road trip now.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Last edited by Woodchuck Forge; 09-13-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Skilled

The neat thing about this whole thing was I told my wife what the mechanics were saying and what did she say???? Well go buy a new one!! I about fell off my seat. Got to love em eh..

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Master

I thought you were going to get that 6.0 a Chevy with a flatbed. Both are nice trucks, but I like the new one a whole lot better. Too bad that learning curve was probably a bit expensive. I had thoughts about one of those 6.0's a few years back and I gotta admit, I hightailed in the opposite direction.

I'll watch for a ten year picture of ole reliable, Craig
Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Nice rig Chuck!

Even though Cindy is the Office Manager at our local Ford dealership, I have to say that I could never see a reason to purchase a Ford diesel....not when the Cummins is out there.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Skilled

Yup it was an expensive learning curve. But I think I made the right choice here.

Ed, I agree, these cummins diesels are great engines. Now if they would only get 50mpg I would be ecstatic.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The only repeat issue that I've heard of concerning the Dodge/cummins trucks is the front end.....Steve Kelly has one, and says that there are a couple of parts in the front end that he has to replace just about annually. I think they all have their little "woes", but I've never heard much of anything negative about the cummins engine(s).

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Skilled

Yea most of the BIG trucks have had some front end issues. Especially if you put BIG tires on them. I can deal with some of that but I do not want any engine problems. That I cannot deal with.

I really feel all the big makers put out a quality truck. I chose the Dodge over the others because of mechanics recommendations and price. It was 10k less than a comparable Ford.

Looking forward to my road trip next week.

Take care and good luck with the Doc's.

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.

Tags
back, home, made, rod