MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Skilled

Exclamation HELP needed to Heat treat T1

Ok I have a knife that " will be " made from a T1 stock , but the person doing the work
for me told me that T1 need a very high tempetarure and his owen can't get that high
I do not know the Temperature to heat treat T1 , but I would like someone to HELP
me with this project....Anybody ?
PLEASE HELP !
Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Steel Addict

Per Atlas of Isothermal Transformations And Cooling Transformation Diagrams by ASM 1977, Critical temp is 1545F. (Although the example diagram was of a piece quenched in air from 2550F.)

Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Hall of Famer

A good place to look up steel information is ASM International at www.asminternational.org. You don't have to register as a member but you do have to set up an account. For a small fee, usually $20/item, you can down load data from their publications. It beats having to spend around $250 for a book that contains information on a whole bunch of steels that you would never use for knife making just to get the 2-3 steels that you're interested in.

The information does not go to your computer unless you send it there. A link is established to the information under your account which you access to find it. To do so go: "Membership" > "My Account" > "Bookshelf".

Doug

Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the Info Guys...
ok the knife maker knows the TEMP, but the problem here is that he can NOT heat treat
high Temp at home.

My question here was to FIND someone that could heat treat that Blade for HIM / ME.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Hall of Famer

I would look for heat treaters that heat treat stainless. Most of those blades have to be taken up hotter than a kitchen oven will go to do the tempering. They can also have a secondary hardening range that some use to increase native carbide levels and, by that, wear resistance. I'd just google up heat treaters and post them a line to see if they would handle T1.

Doug

Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Ok, I just ran across a discussion on T series steels in one of my texts. You may end up having a rough time finding a heat treating service that will heat treat T1 for you. That entire class of steels is very demanding to heat treat from austinization to tempering. It was recommended that the austinization be done in three stages to avoid stress cracks. Marquenching and cryoquenching were also recommended. The more I read I would say that you would be far better off not using T1 or any of the T series of tool steels unless there is an outstanding reason to use it. If you are looking for wear resistance you might want to consider something like CPMS30V or one of it's modificatons. One of the lower alloy stainless steels might be a better choice still.

Doug

Old 05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Skilled

Thanks guys I guess I have to cancel this project and find some other steel....
Old 05-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Steel Addict

Standard uses for this steel are things like taps, lathe bits & broaches. Probably too brittle to make a decent knife anyway.

Tags
blade, heat treat, knife, knife making, post