MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Big Buckeye Burl Bowie

I'm looking for input into the placement of the handle relative to the blade. I recently saw a picture of a Bowie from the mid-1800's that had a handle with this type placement, so in this knife, I've pretty much centered the handle relative to the body of the knife, but from some angles it seems too (blade) top heavy. It does seem well balanced in hand though. Whattayathink? BTW, The blade is 12" x 2" x 3/16" 1095 steel, and the OAL is 17 1/2"
Thanks,
Bob
PS: If the pictures only appear as thumbnails, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how you put them into the body of the post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BigBuckeyeBowie2.JPG (18.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg BigBuckeyeBowie5 (2).JPG (10.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg BigBuckeyeBowie8(a).JPG (20.4 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by medit8; 06-16-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Well, that works, but I think my preference would be to line up the back of the blade and the handle. Maybe that's just because I'm more used to seeing knives made that way.

Unless I'm just seeing this wrong, it looks to me like there's almost no bevel on that blade. Even a big blade needs a bevel if it's going to have any kind of cutting performance. If you feel you don't have enough practice grinding blades yet, I'd suggest building much smaller knives and grinding their blades to get the practice because grinding those big dudes gives everyone fits.

The pictures worked fine ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Ray,
You're right about the bevel being small. In this case, the proportions are 1 3/4" flat grind and 1/4" beveled (and of course that way on both sides). I did this intentionally in ignorance of just how high up the bevel should go. Is there a formula for how high the bevel should be relative to the height of the blade? As far as the pics go, on my screen they only appear as thumbnails, and what I would like is the info on how to have the pics appear in the post without any need to click on the thumbnails. I appreciate your guidance greatly!
Bob
Old 06-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Master

Bob, I can see what you mean visually about locating the handle there. For me, I like to take the dimension of the ricasso and find that center and base your handle there. It will "look" balanced. It would basically place the handle a little higher like Ray says. I know what you mean about the bowies from the 1800s and maybe we have the same books. But even those knives looked a little out of whack to me.

Chris
Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Bob,

I don't think there is a formula for how high the bevel should go but the further it goes the better the slicing geometry. On a Bowie of that style, the bevel is often taken all the way across to the spine. Those that do stop short of the spine (a sabre grind) usually stop 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to the spine. This isn't meant as a precise figure - stop grinding when you think the proportions look pleasing to your eye.

In order to include your pictures inline with your text you need a website somewhere - a host - to store the picture on. Then, you include a line like this in your text where you want the picture to go:

*img]http://www.mypictures.com/mybowie.jpg[/img]

Replace that * with a [ I did that so the pasrser wouldn't try to load the phony URL.

Remember that if you put your picture on a website somewhere that the public websites usually delete the picture automatically after a few weeks so it will disappear from your post after a while....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-17-2007 at 08:37 AM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives