MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-13-2001, 04:47 PM
lwj2

Stacked Leather Hilt

I'm planning on making a sheath knife and was considering using stacked leather for the hilt.

What adhesive is generally used for this? I can get anything from cyanoacrylic [crazy glue] to old fashioned hide glue.

Any comments or advice would be helpful.

Leon Jester
Roanoke, VA
Old 08-13-2001, 07:29 PM
joe41272

You should check out Wayne Goddard's "The Wonder of Knifemaking" for great advice on this subject. I've heard of super glue, but I would think epoxy (the two-part kind) would be vastly superior to super glue. I'm inexperienced (very) but if you could use Acra-Glas from Brownell's, that would be the way to go. The stuff's indestructible. The leather would be there long after the steel rusted away to nothing. I doesn't shrink, swell, and is immune from everything short of an act of God.
Old 08-13-2001, 10:14 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I think that many leather washer handles are just compression fitted also.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:05 AM
ansoknives

on the one pictured I used epoxy 24 hour set. I made a piece of would with a hole to fit the tang and then after each 3-4 washer I gave them a good whack or two with a hammer. I used thin stock on the blade so I could not tread the tang but instead ( and what I actuallty liked more and will use again) drilled a hole in the tang and in the butcap. I then compressed the whole thing..checked for coreect fit..added washers as need and then inserted a pin while it was compressed. This ended up having a very thight fit.

Old 08-14-2001, 06:39 AM
joe41272

That's really nice work! I'm going to make a knife like that when I grow up.
Old 08-15-2001, 01:01 AM
ansoknives

this knife by the way is made using no other powertools than my drillpress...NO GRINDERS
Old 08-17-2001, 06:02 PM
lwj2

Thanks to all of you for the advice, and the really neat pic of a great-looking knife. When I get something worthwhile, I'll take a shot or two and scan them in.

Leon Jester
Roanoke, Virginia

Tags
blade, knife