MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-16-2001, 09:19 PM
joe41272

sheath finishing

I've been making sheaths for some time, but I've always had problems getting the edges slick and professional-looking. Most folks I make sheaths for don't care, but I do. I usually end up sealing the edge with egg white and hand rubbing the edge with beeswax until it's slick. I have a #3 edger and an edge slicker. Maybe I'm using it incorrectly. I even up the edge with a fine grit sanding belt. Any suggestions/products which would give me more professional results?
Old 08-16-2001, 10:56 PM
Little Hen Knives

buffing wheel? thats what i use after shaping and sanding, I go to the buffing wheel with whatever compound is handy once done the buffing, the whole sheath gets a couple coats of SnoSeal and heated gently in the oven so as to soak the SnoSeal in real good....water proof...you could drink from my sheaths if you had to I guess...but not recomended
Old 08-17-2001, 05:32 AM
george tichbourne

Dampen the leather on the edge, sand it smooth on a worn out 180 grit belt, dye the edge, buff the edge on a clean buffing wheel with carnuba wax.
Old 08-17-2001, 05:44 AM
Don Cowles

I use gum tragacanth, which is available from leather suppliers. Brush it onto the finely sanded edge, then burnish it with your slicker or a wooden wheel. I finish it off with a coat of shoe polish buffed out by hand using the same process I use for shining shoes. Works for me.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:38 AM
robertwashburn

sheaths

I use a piece of deer antler to burnish with.Just wet the edge and rub until dry.It will have a smooth ,slickfinish.Then I use the same method as Don.
Old 08-17-2001, 03:11 PM
KandSKNIVES

Re: sheaths

I MADE A BURNISHER OUT OF MICARTA. IT IS 3 INCHES IN DIAMETER, WITH A V GROOVE DOWN THE CENTER. I CENTER DRILLED IT, TO MOUNT IT TO MY BUFFER. AFTER EDGE SANDING ON THE GRINDER, I THEN RUN THE EDGE ON THE BURNISHER AT AROUND 2000RPM. I THEN PUT EDGECOAT ON THE EDGES. GIVES A REAL PROFESSIONAL LOOKING EDGE.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 08-17-2001, 05:51 PM
Don Cowles

Re: sheaths

I feel the same way about buffalo horn as Les Robertson feels about jigged bone, so I made a couple of bone folders out of some horn scale material I had lying around.

I polished them until they shone, and they work beautifully for burnishing the edges of leather. One of these days, I will turn a burnishing wheel out of desert ironwood. Hee hee.
Old 08-17-2001, 06:20 PM
Michael Wise

sheaths

After sanding the edge to around 240 grit find yourself an old used 400 or so grit belt. Make sure it's good and slick. Load it up good with bees wax and then run the edge of the sheath on it. Then go to the buffer. Will look like glass and the bees wax will help seal the sheath.

Micky
Old 08-17-2001, 06:22 PM
Michael Wise

sheaths

OH! And this works pretty well for leather washer handles as well.

Micky

Tags
blade, knives