MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
Skilled

A little hunter w/ textured blackwood

Here's one just off the bench. Been a while since I made a full tang knife but this one was commissioned that way. I think I will use this same pattern as kind of a "standard" model for me.

I want to have a general hunter/utility knife to offer that is relatively affordable for most folks. I want something with nice lines and proportions that is just a good clean, simple, handmade working knife.

This one has more frills than I would offer on the base model. This one is the prototype so to speak and the buyer wanted a few extra touches. They, of course, add to the base price.

Anyway. Here you go. Comments and discussion welcome.

1084 steel
8 1/8" over all, 3 5/8" actual cutting edge, .120" thick at the ricasso
Full distal taper
Rounded spine
Filed thumb grip
Carved and textured blackwood handle
Nickel silver pins

Leather sheath, hand tooled and stitched.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Skilled

Very nice, John!

I like that texturing....just enough to add a nice bit of pizzazz.

Dana
Old 08-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Steel Addict

I like that shape, John. The handle is nice, too. Am I remembering correctly that you use a dremel tool to do the texturing on the handle? Thanks for posting the knives you've been working on. Oh, and are you using clay to get that quench line wavy like that?

Jeremy
Old 10-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Skilled

Got to give this thread a bumb!

Anyone have any tutorials on how to do this kind of texturing on a handle? John, maybe you have a tutorial hidden somewhere out there in the internet?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:35 PM
Skilled

That really is nice, and simple! Question: Did you use a checkering file for the grooves on the spine? Thanks.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Skilled

Wow, you guys dug up an old one.

Thanks for the comments though.

This texturing is pretty sraightforward. Although you could ask guys that are MUCH better at it than me. Ed, Bing and there are others.

I draw up my handle shape on a piece of paper and sketch a shape that I think looks good. Then I cut it out and trace it in pencil on my finished handle.

Then I take a very small round carving burr in a pencil die grinder and start to cut my outline. It leaves a rough and small shallow trough. Then I clean up and smooth out the trough with a various assortment of needle files.

When I have my border all cut and smoothed up, I use the same round burr to texture and 'dimple' the inside area of my border. I go all the way up to the inside line of the trough.

That's pretty much it.

That's just how I do it, there are many other ways, probably most of them faster and better than mine.

One of the biggest tips: A lot of people think there are readily available specialty tools for this kind of stuff and that's not usually the case. If they are readily available, they usually cost a fortune.

Don't be afraid to make or modify tools to suit your needs. Grind down, bend and re heat treat files, make little tools and fixtures out of g-10 or micarta or scrap steel, repurpose your old tooth brush, whatever.

Do whatever it takes and make whatever tool you need to so you can get the job done.

That's the biggest tip I can offer here.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
That really is nice, and simple! Question: Did you use a checkering file for the grooves on the spine? Thanks.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO
I have used a checkering file before but the lines are pretty fine on mine and don't do much for grip. I think those I cut in with a knife edge file or a small flat file. Can't remember for sure but I usually cut thumb grips in one notch at a time with some sort of single file.

Tags
art, bee, blade, carving, edge, file, files, full tang, handle, heat treat, hidden, how to, hunter, john, knife, knives, made, make, pattern, sheath, simple, steel, tang, tips