MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Skilled

I'm wanting to try a folder.

I broke down a old folder I have just to see how it is constructed, are there any good videos to teach me the proper way to do this? I heard Chris Crawford has one, I googled it but don't see a video for sale. I was always the kid that tore stuff apart to see how it was made and I'm sure I can figure it out. But any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

There are videos on pretty much every kind of folder construction, just look in Blade or Knives Illustrated or in most knife supply catalogs or websites. But, the first thing you need to do is figure out what kind of folders you want to build - lockback, slipjoint, liner lock, etc . Building folders is a lot like learning a martial art in that every one is different and each takes considerable time to master. Each one requires specialized jigs or fixtures that you'll need to make and probably design on your own. I can make a liner lock in my sleep now after nearly 20 years of building them but I guaranteed I would not be very far ahead of you if I had to make a lockback or a multi-blade folder.

Good folders take real commitment and plenty of money. If you stay with it you will eventually want a good mill and a surface grinder in addition to the other power tools that most any knife shop would have. You'll need a lot of special sized drill, reams, and taps (depending on the kind of folders you build).

Check those sources I mentioned for videos. You can look on my website for a pretty comprehensive tutorial on liner locks if you are interested in them. Its not a video but if you read through it you will at least get an idea of the kinds of processes and tools that can be used.

You could look at my tutorial and you could look at five videos on how to make liner locks and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw six significantly different ways to build them (or any other style of folder). You can pick up hints and clues by looking at tutorials and videos but in the end you're going to have to work out what works for you. That's where the commitment comes in ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-26-2014, 07:25 PM
Steel Addict

There are some stickys in the folder forom that may give you a clue

Tags
advice, blade, build, building, chris, crawford, design, drill, folder, for sale, how to, knife, knife supply, knives, liner lock, lockback, made, make, supply, surface, teach, tools, tutorial, what kind