MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Enthusiast

KMG's New Website

Has anyone been to Beaumont Metal Work's (KMG) new site? Just wanted to inform people around here.

I got there on a weekly basis to drool over my dream grinder. There new website is so much better.

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/shop/

If I'm late on this I apologize.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Skilled

I like the pics better. There is some tech info missing they used to have, like speeds/pulley ratios, wiring diagram, etc. They need to tweak it a bit but they are going in the right direction.

I would like to see a FAQ section, product and accessory combination recommendations, and either pics or videos for initial set-up and use and also for use of all their accessories. That would be a great help for newbies and anybody looking to buy and compare grinders, and would help eliminate trial and error for those who have never owned a 2X72 before. If they had this info available I would have bought more accessories on the initial purchase. I had to learn what I needed or wanted and correlate with their pics to figure it all out.

Overall a great machine and I am always needing more accessories!

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 04-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Steel Addict

I'm still on the fence with this one http://www.twuertz.com/
Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawJacker View Post

Look at Esteem Grinders. Google it. They are way more heavy duty and half the price.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Enthusiast

I know which KMG that most knife makers use, but the old site at least had a package called the "Knife Maker's Grinder." I could be wrong, but I dont see it on the new one.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Nate View Post
Look at Esteem Grinders. Google it. They are way more heavy duty and half the price.
The esteem looks nice, with a nice price but I think the TW-90's tilt feature puts it ahead just sayin not trying to start anything just trying to decide I only want ONE grinder.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM

I have the TW-90 and it is very nice. The tilt feature does have its advantages as well as the surface grinder attachment. Built very solid, you will not break it.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM
Skilled

I really liked the Esteem adjustable work rest, and on Bladeforum there was a pic of one mounted to a KMG. It definitely looks like it works better than the standard KMG work rest. I left a message with Brett of Esteem about ordering info.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 04-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawJacker View Post
That one looks great also Jaw but did you see the price $3,400.00 and i don't know what shipping would be? Did i miss something that makes this one SO much better? Just wondering.
Thanks,
Clay
Old 04-06-2013, 03:10 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
That one looks great also Jaw but did you see the price $3,400.00 and i don't know what shipping would be? Did i miss something that makes this one SO much better? Just wondering.
Thanks,
Clay
Thing is you are getting 2 grinders in one. All the posts I see on this grinder are, its amazingly smooth and cleverly built and you can get the surface grinder attachment, it may be pricey but.......... check out his YT videos. I'm still open to other grinders until Sept.

I dont care about the cost , I just want the BEST grinder. You can spend as much with KMG with some attachments.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Opinion time: I think the TW-90 is an amazing piece of engineering. Is it 'the best'? Well, for some people yes, for others probably not. Yes, it's like two grinders in one....but my shop has every tool in it I ever found a use for regardless of cost and I still haven't found that I need a horizontal grinder. I'm in awe of the design work that went into that surface grinder attachment but, even so, it lacks the flexibility of a dedicated surface grinder (maybe not by much, but still not the same).

I look at this type of design as being the same concept of those mill/drill/lathe multi-tool machines. They are good in some cases - not enough space, not enough money - but they never perform to the level of dedicated tools. Even with all the fast change over gimcracks it still takes time to switch from one set up to another and then maybe you find an oops! forgot to do something now I have to switch back.

$3400 is a ton of money but it would buy you a nice KMG as well as a surface grinder (but not the horizontal grinder). You might have to shop a bit to make it happen but you could get pretty close and you wouldn't have to spend the money all at once. If a motor fritzed on you only one machine would be down instead of all of them. So, again, 'the best' for some, not so much for others ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Steel Addict

Ray, Valid points and I for one will consider them before my purchase. Thanks

Tags
2x72, art, back, bee, design, drill, knife, make, package, surface, tools