MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Steel Addict

Venting

I'm finally getting to some more grinding on knives and find myself frustrated.....at myself. The good thing is that I'm getting better at seeing the problems I cause and even fixing a fair amount of them. One thing that's driving me a little nutty is the evenness (is that a word?) or should I say the lack there of on my plunge lines. I don't mean where I begin them-that gets pretty simple to see and try to correct. It seems I'm not holding the blade at the same angle on both sides as I grind and end up with slightly different angles on the plunges going up towards the spine.

I'm not talking about huge differences, but enough that when I look for it, I can tell. I'm sure repetition, practice, and all that will bring things together better, but it sure is annoying in the mean time. I know some makers use file guides to cut in their plunge lines, but the one I have isn't carbide faced, plus, I'm not sure the platen on the tool arm side would allow for the file guide to come right up to the edge of the platen. How do you free-hander's out there keep your plunges nice and even? I try to tuck my elbows in good and tight to keep any wobbling under control. Your thoughts and advice are appreciated .

Jeremy
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Hall of Famer

You can use files with a file guide (no, I'm not trying to be cute) to establish the plunge line. Also, my file guide is not carbide or carbide faced and I have not damaged it with my belts. What are you using that you can't get your guide all the way to the edge of your platen?

Doug

Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Remember what I told......the difference between a "knifemaker" and a "good knifemaker" is knowing how to fix or hide your mistakes! It's a learning process pal.....keep at it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Skilled

Hi Jeremy, I had that learning curve for about 7 years ( thats how long I've been doing this). One thing that Ed and I talked about when I took his basic class. I still do today. I always start on my week side. I cannot explain but it really helps me. Last year I started scribing a center line on all my blades. Then before I start my finish grinding I mark with a sharpie how far up the spine I want to go. That is my no go any farther up the spine line. Remember twist and torque, I'm sure Ed thaught you that. I think he threw a can of WD 40 at the back of my head for that one. Just take your time I'm very slow at grinding and I think that help me more than anything. Hope this helps.

Bing

Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Steel Addict

Doug-
The file guide I have has cap screws on one side to tighten everything and they are proud of the whole thing, so it means I can't get to the platen edge. The opposite side has a piece of I think mild steel under the hardened steel so you can put that in a vise for example. That extra metal does the same as the screw heads, running into the frame of the platen on the one side. Maybe I'll try out the files sometime.

Thanks for all the encouragement and advice, guys. And yes, Ed-I remember that saying quite well . Bing, I can appreciate well what you're saying. One of my biggest problems I think is going too quickly (amongst several other ones). Ed told me so many times "look twice as much as you grind". I'm sure he tells everyone that and not just the students who appear not to be paying attention.....

Jeremy
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Skilled

Sounds to me like you need a different file guide.

And yeah, you don't have to buy a nice carbide expensive one just to grind to your plunges. I have one that I made from mild steel that I use for that.

Chances are, you might still have to clean your plunges up a little anyway. The guide just keeps the angle the same and keeps you from running the belt up onto the bottom corners of your ricasso. If your platen varies slightly from one side to the other or the belt is more worn on one side or the other or is hanging off the platen differently on one side or the other, your plunges won't be the same anyway. There will be some minor clean up. At least that's my experience.

I'd make yourself a different filing guide for grinding.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Master

If you're trying to get a file guide up to the platen, it could matter how the platen is mounted. Is there a cut out on the bracket so the edge of the platen is exposed the same on both sides.

Good luck with it, Craig
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Hall of Famer

It does sound like you are having problems with the frame of your grinder. I can get the side of my file guide right up to the side of my platen. Are you using something like a wood sander for a grinder?

Doug

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Steel Addict

It's a KMG chassis with Ed's flat platen design. The guide I have was given to me by a friend and I think a different one with a better design would be helpful for this application. Also, I put 2 large washers on the post of the platen to keep my spacing correct and I need to cut those down or just not use them. They don't come out to the platen face, but do come out on the side a bit.

At least no one has said they can't understand why I'm having a problem and their plunge lines are always perfect .

Jeremy

Tags
advice, angle, art, back, bee, blade, design, edge, file, files, flat, grinding, how to, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, post, simple, steel, vise, wood