MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:50 PM

horse stall matt for handles

I know a lot of knives used for cutting competitions are now using horse stall mat for their handles. So I thought I would try some and did a search to buy some. here is a list of some of the materials used for a few that I found. 100% revulcanised rubber;Frelonic flooring system; EVA-a space age dense closed-cell polymer; D-lite mats, a combination of rubber and foam; compounded rubber mat with high content of natural rubber with fabric mesh inlay for added strength; solid vulcanized rubber; postconsumer tire-derived rubber material; virgin rubber. Does anyone know if one of these is the best or is there something else better or will any one work. i'm just a little confused. THANKS
Old 07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
Hall of Famer

There was an article about this material in one of the recent Blade magazines. I believe the mats used were recycled tire rubber.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:28 PM

thank you. do you remember which issue it was? The last issue I just got about the cutting competition just called it horse-stall-matt rubber
Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 PM

I stopped by a local tractor supply store last week to see about getting some. It was somewhere around $37 for a 4' X 6" sheet. Too much money for what little I need and a piece that size would last me forever. It's not likely that I'd use it for very many of the types of knves I make.

SDS
Old 07-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Steel Addict

I recently noticed that Texas Knifemaker's Supply was carrying a neoprene handle material. It may be similar to what you're looking for.

Here's the linky:
http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index...th=587_604_614

Mike
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 PM

thanks Mike for the link. i just wonder though if the difference in price of the 3/4"neoprene vs 3/4"vulcanized rubber for example ( 4'x6' rubber for $40 vs 5"x12" neoprene for $20) could be worth that much of a difference?
Old 07-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Steel Addict

L.,

Yeah, quite a difference in price. Looks like the neoprene from Texas KnifeMakers Supply would cost about $1140 for the equivalent amount from the tractor supply.

Should be able handle 4 knives from the 5"x12" pc from TKS, and about 230 knives with the pc from the tractor supply.

$4.00 per knife vs., .17? per knife. (not considering shipping costs from TKS)

I've been thinking of picking up a set of the neoprene scales from TKS to replace the inset scales on an old Buck 110 folding hunter.

On a final note, don't trust my math......I don't......
Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Skilled

I Just Purchased a few things from North Coast Knives this evening and they had some that I was very close to purchasing. North coast knives doesn't have a huge selection but what they do have is good stuff and is priced awsome. http://www.northcoastknives.com/nort...s_Supplies.htm
Thanks, Shane
Old 07-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Steel Addict

I've purchased from Mr. Percival at North Coast Knives a couple of times. Great to deal with. I like his website too, full of good info. Seems that he has the better deal on the scales...Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 07:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Well, if you do get the horse stall mats, cut it into slabs or sheets and sell the rest here, or on ebay. I'm sure you'll find some other guys wanting to try the material. We're always willing to experiment with new materials.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:27 PM

thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I called Warren Osborn last night and he was very kind and willing to share with me what he uses. He said he bought his from a tractor supply store and it was rubber derived from used tires. he did warn about some that seem to have a larger grain and will break apart easier. I live in Bellingham WA. about 30 miles from North West Rubber mats, LTD in Abbotsford, BC, Canada who make "Red Barn" Stall mats. I talked with them today & their product is 100% recycled vulcanized rubber from truck tires. He said that sometimes manufacturers will use polyurethane as a binder and that would definitely cause the mat to deterioate easier. their product (Red Barn) is guaranteed for 15 years where the other is usually for 5 or 7 years. I will be buying a 4'x6' sheet and will definately have extra if anyone would like to have some to try. I also asked Warren about the glue he uses and he said he uses speed bonder made by loctite. I didn't know at the time that there are different types of speed bond so I called the company and their suggestion was -in the industrial category- either 330 or 324. Let me know if you'd like some mat and I could ship it UPS in the flat rate boxes. I don't need to make any money on it just what it costs and shipping. Give me a little time though to get it cut up as I just had some neck surgery, but I think I could probably even shear it at work which would make it fairly easy to do.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Steel Addict

L., I'm definitely interested in a chunk of the mat. Let me know when you get around to it. I've subscribed to this thread so if you post in here again I'll know it. Thanks, Mike
Old 07-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Hall of Famer

I re-read McAlpine's initial post, and, and, and.....VIRGIN RUBBER?? The two words just don't seem to go together.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Steel Addict

I have had ver good results using Black rtv silicon rubber for gluing this material to knives. You can also get bulk oring material and use it as pins. Just glue it in with the same silicon that you use for the handle.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Ready To Send

Well my neck has finally gotten to where I can get this done ,so if anyone would like me to send you some rubber for handles I have it. I sheared it at 5.5"x12"(WITHIN .125") and will ship it in a small flat rate box. The shipping is $9.80 and I can get up to 8 pieces in the box. I figured the cost of each piece came to about .85 so how about if I charge $1 a piece. So if you want a full box with 8 pieces the cost will be $17.80. if you'd like to see where and what it is the web site is www.redbarnmats.com. If you get some from me would you please let me know how you like it and if you've used other types of rubber how this compares to it. Just e-mail me and I'll get it going.

Last edited by L. McAlpine; 08-23-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives