MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:24 PM
Skilled

Show Me Your EDC's

I've noticed, sometime guys who make stuff (not necessarily knives) don't even use what they make. I would like to see your knives, share how abusive you have been to them. lol. I'll start. The top was a little project I made with a friend a few years ago, 160 layer twisted pattern with the wood for the handle being driftwood from the river. I've cut everything from boxes to sheet rock with it.
The folder is only the third I've ever made (2 years ago). I've been using it to cut open boxes and generally abusing it like I hate it. Can't say how many times it's when point first into the concrete floor. It was an experiment just to see if I could make one with my tooling.

The boot knife was a very early one. It was forged from 3 pieces of 9/16'ish cable. Yes, that's paint on the handle from painting my house 3 or 4 years ago.

Let's see yours.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

This is one of the first folders I ever made, about 17 years ago. Since then, it has been in my pocket almost every day. It gets every dirty job that comes along. Since I have lived out here in the Okanogan I have lost this knife three times, always in the winter. Once, it was scooped up by a pickup with a snow plow and packed into a bank of mud and snow. I had to wait 3 months for the snow to melt so I could find it again. When I did find it, it was half frozen in a chunk of muddy ice. After defrosting, I ran some water over it from the tap and put it back in my pocket. Stainless, titanium, and G-10 fiberglass just don't need much maintenance!

The blade is rarely more than about half sharp because I cut a lot of cardboard, shave titanium burrs whenever I mill titanium, dig in the dirt with it, cut metal flashing, cut wires, whatever needs cutting. Its done more than its share of light prying too and the blade held up. I'm pretty sure this knife will outlast me ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 12-19-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Skilled

That's what I'm talking about Ray. Yours in all it's abused glory. That is a testament to your ability as a knifemaker, and you don't have to have anyone tell you. lol.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:20 PM
Skilled

Are we limited to knives we make, custom knives in general, or just any knife we like to carry?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:48 AM
Skilled

Hunter, I'm wanting to see what you made that you trust to carry every day. Take Ray's blade for example, he made it and has faith enough in his work to use it. I've met several makers who don't have a knife like that, to me that's a shame. If you don't have one yet, make one. It will teach you a lot about yourself as a maker.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Skilled

I made this one about 3 years ago. I use to carry a Gerber folder but once this one was done it was looped on my belt and haven't left the house without it. It has cut everything from apples to bailing wire and has only had the edge touched up twice. I know I should always have a fancy polished blade on me as advertising but this one just works so well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150614_090652444_zpsedkirn7b.jpg (310.4 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 06-16-2015 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Picture not showing
Old 06-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Skilled

Idale, that's a good one, and it looks to be well used.
All the knife makers here, and only 3 carry one of their blades?
To use put it a hot rodders terminology, I want to see your Farm Truck not the show cars. lol. Show cars are pretty, they get pushed in and pampered. They look like they run, but nobody ever knows. It's the farm truck that gets the job done.

The other side to this, what did your knife teach you? With mine, I stink at making folders and my edge bevels needed a little work.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Skilled

I wish I still had all my cool pocket knives from when I was growing up.
I had a 2 blade Case XX skinning knife and a single blade Barlow that my dad and I used for muskrats and mink.
They were both lost just within the last 10 from going to Boy Scout campouts
and letting the boys use them, and them losing them.... arrggg.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:47 PM

My is my VEGA Classic. It has an 8" hollow grind on both edges. The handle is Ironwood.

I made this knife for my father in-law several years ago. When he passed, I got it back. I never leave home without it.

The sheath is simple Kydex w/no loops. I just drop it in my pocket.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 02-03-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:43 PM
Skilled

Cool knife and great history, Andrew.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:38 PM
Steel Addict

I carry this everyday and everywhere. 2years old. Scissors are not mine and don't need any ideas.

Wayne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 (640x480).jpg (223.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Steel Addict

Here is mine. Haven't had it long but I love it.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 AM
Skilled

That's a good looking sheath. The knife looks very serviceable too. It should give you years of use.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:44 AM
Steel Addict

It's definately sharp and holds and edge. Was using it to shave down wooden trim molding for the bathroom. Was almost to the last piece when I felt something wet...cut my thumb. It wasn't too bad of a cut, but enough to bleed and I never even felt the blade
Old 08-31-2015, 07:41 AM
Skilled

Had to post this one in here too. This is the knife I recently finished for myself. I've been using it as an EDC and have cut everything from a heavy plastic trash can lid to cutting limbs out of my way while on the lawnmower. So far so good, I love how well this thing holds its razor edge and I find myself wondering why it took me so long to make one for myself. For any other newbies getting into knifemaking, you don't need fancy steels to make a great EDC. Simple high carbon steel knives like this with a good heat treatment and good edge geometry make an excellent blade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0373_800x598.JPG (129.3 KB, 31 views)

Tags
art, back, bee, blade, boot, boot knife, custom, edc, folder, forged, handle, ironwood, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, paint, pattern, pocket, project, sharp, sheath, show, wood