MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-19-2002, 12:23 PM
JD61

handle screw holes countersink too deep

Hey all
I just recieved my DDRII kit.
Love it and am working on completing it. One question though. When I assembled it, it appears that the handle material in the kit has the screw holes counter sunk too deep. The gold macarta (sp) at the bottom after the counter sink looks very thin and the screws themselves sit very deep into the handles.
Any suggestion? I am concerned that a small amouont of hard use will cause the hadles to not hold well.
Old 04-19-2002, 03:31 PM
Coop747

JD,

welcome to the forum. I hope you'll register and join us regularly.

Check the inside of the liner after screwing them in. Does the screw stick out more than 005-".010" ?? If it doesn't, then I'd say you're fine. If it does, talk to your supplier. These guys have been REAL good about solving probs...

Let us know.

Coop
Old 04-19-2002, 04:10 PM
Kelly

If there is enough material for the screws to securely hold the scales, I suggest that you file or grind (Dremel, or equivalent)the screws flush with the liners in order to not have any internal protrusions. The threads will loose their rounded end, for easy starting, but will reattach easily if you hold them square when you re-assemble.
Old 04-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Darrel Ralph

Hi Where did you buy the scales?
If from Knifekits.com Please send us a support request. We'll look into it.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:08 AM
JD61

I purchased from Koval Knives.
I solved the problem by super gluing a plug into the holes and re- countersinking. Since the head of the screws cover the plug it worked out fine.
A bit of a chore but accomplished.

Old 04-22-2002, 08:16 AM
JD61

Darrel
I am going to purchase the next couple from Knivekits.
I am a bit disappointed in the kits from Koval. The blade on the DDRI has an ugly nick in the top of the spine near the tip, as well as the problem with the scales on the DDRII.

I would like to say that the kits are a great idea and I will be ordering more. Hopefully these 2 kits were a fluke in the control process. Can't wait for the new models in June.

Tags
blade, knife, knives