MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

What's the Consensus?

I'm working on a small Bowie, but the handle is stumping me.

The blade is full of imperfections, sure, but it's for me and I rather like the story that all those flaws tell.

I'm planning on a nice guard out of mild steel and a steel pommel, but that middle part is rocking my world. At first, I thought to do something in Micarta like Andrew Jordan does on his combat knifes. I like that look, but I'm at a loss as to how to accomplish it.

Then I thought I'd just do something in antler and pin it on sans pommel. Simple to do and I have tons of antler that I could dig through for a handle, including some elk that might be nice.

If I'm open to antler, I should be open to some stabilized wood. I see a lot of various burls that look really good. Some of them even look better when they've been dyed. That could look sexy pinned onto the tang!

Then I saw a Marine Kabar and thought that stacked leather handle is a timeless beauty. That would be very easy to do, I think, but there's that pesky pommel popping up again.

Then I thought about this piece of 3/8" brown canvas micarta that I have. More than enough to do a stacked washer handle, but how would it look? It would be neat to try, but I really don't want a rank-looking grip on this blade considering all the work that's gone into making the rest of the knife.

It would be neat. And I could always die the brown with some green. I don't want a black handle.

So, anyone have a thought on which way I should go?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Skilled

Sounds like you are looking at two critera : appearance and difficulty. My advice is first decide which is most influential to your decision, then go where it takes you from there. If the difficulty issue is a little scary - have no fear, you can get much useful help with any difficulty you face right here on this forum. One thing you may want to do to ease your mind there is post a few pics of what you have now to work with - someone here may see something that should be steering your decision.
As far a appearance - that's all you man.

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast

You nailed it, Dennis.

The appearance is tricky because I like those Jordan handles, but can't figure out how to build it. The guard is rather simple, but what's that handle layup?

Antler v. Micarta? I kinda favor antler on a carbon blade because they will both age well together. Micarta always looks new-ish. Of course, going with antler means either finding a good piece with a crown or installing a pommel.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Go with what you wnt it to look like. People here can help with guiding the assembly. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you've already got. Go for it. By the way I'm a stag whore. I vote antler

Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast

Considering the knives on your website, Mr. Sharpe, I'd say that you're something of an SME on antler. That 3" Pocket Bowie is very sexy!

I'll have to look through my antler stockpile to see what's available.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm not sure what a SME is but I do like antler. Sambar Stag is my favorite. Just to let you know NC has a knifemakers guild. Our next meeting is in Oct. I would like to invite you to come. Great people and always some good demos. ( Drop me an E-mail if you'd like to come, or if I can help in any way on your current project.)

Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Skilled

Now there is an invitation you CANT refuse!!!

I've not seen a "Jordan" to know what to tell you, but I do know you only have a couple choices for a micarta handle on a bowie-type with guard- either drilled block or two-piece mortised handle. The drilled block is easiest imo, you could go with a screw-on pommel or not. If not then I would definetely pin the tang in the handle - which is not that hard. I would be sure to have a tang that extends at least 3/4 the handle length (either micarta or stag)

Stag handles are classic and I too love them too but the biggest issue is finding the right piece of stag - that can be difficult. If you don't want to hassle with a butt-cap, then pin it. Ive got one on my site now that I pinned - then when it just didn't ballance like I wanted, I added a pommel - not that difficult.

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576

Last edited by dbalfa; 08-27-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Master

Vaughn, I like to use different handle materials either wood (cocobolo, Ironwood with high figure), or antler stag or Elk. Elk works well if it is finished properly,I turn the area next to the guardto where there is some white/cream showing then sand it to about 400 to 600 grit. Before you polish it seal the area with about 2 or 3 coats of super glue (not to get expensive with the type get the inexpensive stuff). Apply a coat with surgical or non-laytex gloves let it set for about 15 to 20 minutes, then apply another coat if you want to apply a third coat just repeat the process. once it has dried for about 45 minutes use some Zam, or pink no-scratch compound to polish the area (note: use an old polishing wheel to do this with or just make sure to mark that wheel for super glue only).

Once it is polished you will have an area around the front of the handle that was turned smoth that will look like glass. It will really add a lot of class to the handle and the knife. Also, on elk as long as the antler is not to knobby (the popcorn type) just coat the whole handle with the super glue when you do the turned over area. This way you are sealing the whole handle area and you can polish the whole handle, (the brown color will not fade with age this way at least not as quickly and the finish will last for many generations). The whole handle will not look like glass just the area that was turned over and sanded to the finer gritts. I have one that I finished like this about 14 or 15 years ago that still looks new). Anyway I hope that this helps somewhat.

Vaughn just remember that you have my number if there is something that I can help you with.
Curtis

Last edited by CWKnifeman; 08-28-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Tags
antler, blade, guard, ironwood, knife, knives, post, tang