MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Skilled

Let's all enjoy a "fifth"

Crew.and lurkers alike,
I am in Alabama until Tuesday or Wednesday evening. ( I know..What a shock..right?). I will be returning back to my office and announcing the winning number and person at that time.
In the meantime..Why not start our "fifth" build in this series. A Randall Model #5, "Camp and Trail"....or "Small Camp and Trail", depending upon how the the discussion goes! I am sure that Ron, aka "Boblade", can provide ya'll with some history on this model. I can too, but am way too lazy to hash all of that out from up here in the heart of dixie! Besides: I do not have access to all of my "stuff", and I know Ron does.
The "Camp and Trail" was a favorite of wilderness author Bradford Angier and snake guru, Ross Allen ( I hope I spelled those right). It is a great camp knife and nearly identical to a model "one" in size...at least the 1/4" stock model is. The "Small" Camp and Trail is made out of 3/16" stock and only comes in a 4" length. The 1/4" stock fives are available in 5,6,7 and 8" blade lengths. Both large and small come with thumb notches standard, so there's an option you don't have to consider or be charged extra for! Carbon steel ( O1 ) is standard, with stainless steel as an option. All types of hilts, single and double, are available. Brass and nickel silver hilts, butt caps and buttplates are all doable. Sawteeth on 1/4" models only are doable. Leather handles are standard on 1/4" stock models and stag is standard on 3/16" stock models. O.K. Ya'll get the idea. get busy..Wide open discussion for now. We'll "whittle" a bit later. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
I'll chime in early for a 6" in SS. Let the debate begin!

- Ronald Reagan
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM

Hi Cap!

Thanks for getting the #5 Build off the ground. I'm sure this is going to be a popular knife for folks to work on.

Quote:
I am sure that Ron, aka "Boblade", can provide ya'll with some history on this model.
Yeah, Ron! Let's have the background story of this model, as well as some pictures of some oldies from your computer vault please.

Cheers!

David

Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM
Skilled

As far as I am concerned there is only ONE way to build this knife. It has to be EXACTLY like the Model 5 that Ross Allen wore. Only problem is that I am not sure about the Ross Allen knife. I saw Mr. Allen several times in the 60s and I do remember that he wore his knife during his snake shows at Silver Springs. I "think" I remember that it had a stag handle but I am not sure. I just did a 30 minute web search looking for Ross Allen photos and in all I found he was not wearing the knife. I do think there is at least one Ross Allen photo in the Randall Museum. Hopefully it will show details of his knife.
Jeff
Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 PM

David,

I'll be posting a little history and some pics either tonight or tomorrow morning. This should be a great build!

Best,

Ron
Old 02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Skilled

Ross Allen

Jeff,
I believe Ross Allen's Model #5 had a 6" blade, but I am not sure. Maybe old DW can look through the photos in the museum and find it. How about it, Scotty? Help me out "buddy"! I also remember Ross milking rattlers at his Silver Springs show. Good old times to remember...Best, The "Captain"

Old 02-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Steel Addict

5 or 6 inch would be great

S/S

RKS #5224
Old 02-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

I remember that Bradford Angier's Model #5 was also a 6" Blade.

Maybe we should make Blade length our first discussion?

Gang, this 5 Option Limit is going to "Kill Us" on this one. So I suggest that before we "Start a Buldin" here, we should kick around "What we Gotta" have, as far as the Options go.

We will also need to have a discussion about Sawteeth, since this is the first time we have had that Option available for a Build with the "Option Limit". Did we add Sawteeth to the Model #1 we Built? I don't remember, so I will have to go back & look.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Steel Addict

The good news , for me at least, is finger grooves are standard (I think)

RKS #5224
Old 02-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Skilled

finger grooves

Crew,
Ginger grooves ( or grips ) are not standard and are not available on a 4" Model #5. Thumb notches "are" available on both. Best, The "Captain"

P.S. Mike: Did you get my email??

Old 02-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
This is just a suggestion but what if we designed this knife exactly as we want it, without regard to the "5-option" rule? Then, if we are over the 5 options, we can debate about which one(s) that we can do without. This is the method that I have been using and it gives a little different perspective.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 02-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Steel Addict

What usage are we going to design around?? As the book says? "camp and trail"??
Old 02-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Steel Addict

I'm in for a Six inch SS blade!

Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterusmall
The good news , for me at least, is finger grooves are standard (I think)

OOOPs! I meant thumb notches are standard!

RKS #5224

Last edited by sterusmall; 02-27-2007 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 AM

So....... a little history is apparantly in order here Well, according to Gospel, uh..... I mean Gaddis, the Model 5 "Camper" was developed as part Bo's initial lineup of field knives just following the close of WWII hostilities in the 2nd half of '45. This one was pretty much a no-brainer: The Model 1 was termed the "All Purpose Fighter" meaning it could also play the role of a hunting or camping knife if need be (and many ended up their careers that way). All Bo did was eliminate the three "fighter-oriented" features (sharpened clip / reverse grip index finger cutout / double hilt) and presto: a pure camping / boating knife offered in the same 6, 7 & 8 inch blade lengths as the fighting version! Alas this model did not enjoy an immediate following and so it languished a bit until it's popularity really started to grow in the 60's. This is why it is a fairly uncommon event to see a 40's or even early 50's example. The earliest one I've ever seen belongs to Mr. Stidham (1st pic). The 2nd pic is of a handsome ivory handled piece made a year or so later and the last is an early 50's Korean War era knife. Despite it's initial low production numbers, the Model 5 is rich in Randall history as the Cap alluded to in his initial post. This should be a fun build and a heck of a knife to take home for whomever has Lady Luck sitting on his (or her) shoulder.

Ron

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives