MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Steel Addict

Belt Tension questions

I've got my new KMG up and running. What a BEAST!, it makes the old Sears 3" belt sander I was using seem like a Dremel tool. First question is on belt tension, I searched but couldn't find a definitive answer. What's too tight? I've been adjusting it till the belt just after the drive wheel stops vibrating. Can I go tighter? Also, does it extend belt life to leave it slack when not in use? Thanks

Old 03-21-2005, 07:15 PM
Skilled

Robert,

Welcome to the KMG Club!

I set mine where I can push in the slack area with a finger and it gives a bit, like a 1/2" or inch. But what do I know.

However, it does sound like you have it too loose to me.

Steve

Old 03-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Steel Addict

Hello Robert,

Don't worry...you cannot get the belt too tight. I personally prefer more tension.

More tension= more belt stability under heavy loads. Premium high performance belts can take a tremendous amount of tension.

It's tough to answer your question in writing though...but in person, I could show in a about 2 seconds. Kinda like asking " how long is a piece of string?" (hee hee).

I reccomend that you take the tension off of the belts at the end of the day.....or else you have a nasty case of belt wobble in the morning...from a distorted belt.

Have fun with your new machine....I'm sure the experts will chime in with more experience and more informative answers.

Sincerely,
Rob

Old 03-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Don't you just love Rob Frink and that grinder he makes!!??

And he's always there to help answer questions to boot.......now you tell me...is that customer service or what!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 03-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought a selection of belts from Trugrit that others had recommended here. Some Klingspors, Nortons and Gators from 3M. ( I'm from Florida and I did go to U of F so I had to get some Gators ) I'll crank up the tension with more confidence now. I was planning on rolling the grinder out of the shop to use it but I can't get over how heavy it is even without an attachment on it. Rob, IT'S A BEAST! So I'm starting to work on a dust collection arrangement instead. I put a plastic oil drain pan under the platen area with a large speaker magnet under it. Seems like it would work as a pre-filter. Has anyone tried this? Later (Off to the "Day Job")