MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

New Files steel type?

I have a question on file steel. On the new nicholson files you can get at any store does anyone know what steel is in them?
Old 01-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

There have been many threads on the subject of file steel. The Search button should help you find them, so I won't go into all the detail but here are the highlights:

Some files are good steel, some are not. Some are merely case hardened and no good at all for knives.

I think Nicholson are supposed to be the good ones but the bottom line is you will probably never be able to say with absolute certainty what steel is in a particular file.

A new file costs as much or more than a 12" bar of nice, clean, properly annealed steel. You buy the steel and you'llknow exactly what you have and exactly how it should be heat treated. Unless you have some speacial reason for wanting to use a file (maybe you just like that look) then don't waste your time and money on mystery steel.........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-25-2005, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you

You make a very good point. I guess old habbits die hard. Been making blades out of them for years and thought I would try forging one since I am new to forging. Thank you
Old 01-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Master

Ray is right. We make this comment often - mystery steels are not worth playing with....BTW I have an old pair of pliers made by Nicholson, That's got to be over 50 years old.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Master

I'm a bigger fan of experimenting with mystery steel then Ray is, but I still have to agree with him in this case. If you have a used up file that's just too dull to be worth using anymore then sure, try it. When you're buying tools to use as tools, buying ones that you think might be good steel to play with on the chance they end up breaking is fine. But buying a brand new tool just to forge is a loosing proposition, you're paying for the steel, AND the labor that went to produce it which is usually more then half the cost. Why pay for the labor just to undo it?

Old 01-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Steel Addict

Machine shops

About once a year I make the rounds of area machine shops where they give me their old worn out Nicholson files. A gift knife from one of the files to the shop manager is a nice touch. Spark test each one to be sure of the potential of the file.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Cold Steel Cult
And don't think about buying those #### cheap files marked "India" from wal-mart... i ground past all the teeth and figured out the center is soft and i had just wasted my time... yeah older dull files would be fun to play with, but to echo the others, there is no point of buying a file to make a knife out of it. I did the same thing with a wood rasp/file, but i used it a few times and now i can't bring myself to destroy it!

Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Enthusiast

thanks all

Appreciate the advice. I have used old files alot, and bought a couple when I could not find anything else to use. I have ordered some good 5160 steel and now looking for a W1 source, but was curious of what it might be just for the knowlege. I made a blade about 15 years ago out of an old black diamond file that I have overly abused, used as a hatchet, can opener, log splitter with a hammer, metal cutter, hunting knife, prybar, skinner, etc.... has never failed and always keeps a good edge. I know the new ones are not near as good but was interrested in just knowing.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Steel Addict

nicholson files are good... just test em out... and temper them to your liking...
- destroy a few blades and make sure they have a fine fine grain ... ( normalize !!!)

try to stick to one brand and use only the old tired out ones for forge fodder

hey.. I know how you feel... some places you just can't get good steel... so recycle is the answer otherwise pay shipping charges out the whaaazoooouu !

and every once and awhile ... treat yourself to some crucible service L6 steel... .. and pay those crazy shipping charges... .. it's worth it..

Greg
Old 01-30-2005, 11:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Kelly Cupples has a great steel selection, and I dont think you will beat his prices which include shipping.His # is 509-728-0057, He is a knifmaker also, and can steer you into what you need, plus he is a great guy to boot!

God Bless
Mike

Tags
blade, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knives