MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Steel Addict

New leather attempt

Well I tried out carving a sheath, there's some parts when I really like it but at the same time just something about it doesn't seem right. I dunno, you guys tell me.

Buff 5.JPG

Buff 4.JPG

Any words are appreciated.

Last edited by WynnKnives; 06-16-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Master

The carvings looks pretty good to me!

Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM
Hall of Famer

The is nothing wrong with the carving, that's for sure. It seems to be a strange combination of a three piece sheath that only covers the blade and a pouch sheath. Possibley the weight of the leather is a little light. But then again, how? The carving seems to be deeper than you could get with a light weight leather. Does it have a soft feel?

I think being something between a one or two piece pouch sheath and a more normal three piece sheath with a front, back, and strap may make it look a little off.

Now the next question and probably the most important one. Does it hold the knife securely on the belt? That's the main consideration.

Doug

Old 06-16-2013, 10:42 PM

The retention strap looks to be way wide to hold the knife in the sheath. I usually either sew it in on the surface or punch two close together holes and weave it through. Also by doing it the way you have, rough out leather visible when it is snapped. If the retention strap is threaded through you can turn it so that you see the outside, not the inside of the cow.

Aaron
Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 AM
Steel Addict

The leather is 8-9 oz, it's not soft so I don't think that is an issue, but I think I agree about the strap I'm thinking of a way to fix it. It does hold the knife securely but you guys are right, I believe I will try to change it. I often find myself trying too many new things at once, while one turns out good the other doesn't and kind of ruins the entire thing. But I guess I'll refer to one of the guys' signatures that's on here, something along the lines of "If your not making mistakes your not trying hard enough".

Last edited by WynnKnives; 06-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:24 AM

Even though it may be 8-9 oz., it still appears to have worked like belly leather allowing it to distort a bit when tooling. Not so much a soft issue as a stretchy issue which allows the puckering.
That style knife and that style strapping mechanism just don't work well together. That knife leans more toward a pouch style with no strap, that covers and secures all but two fingers worth of handle, since it is a butt heavy design.
You could strap across the finger groove, but with that much weight above the retentions strap will still make it an iffy securing device.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Steel Addict

Ya, you guys have convinced me, I remaking it entirely... look like this one will sit in my pile of "things to remember not to do again.

Carl which part are you referring to exactly?, the leather is shoulder and is actually good leather but I know the top of the pocket when I formed it got messed up, another reason to redo it.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Even on a shoulder you will have some flanky parts along the two side edges - by the looks of it (wrinkles/stretch marks) you definitely got some of that when carving this piece.
FWIW - even on the best of leather it will at times stretch - many pros tape the back of the leather first with packing tape or painters tape to prevent stretching - I also agree a pouch style sheath would work better for this style knife...

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:41 AM

Belly leather is just what it sounds like, and it varies with different hides as to how far up into a side it goes. Shoulders are usually a bit safer, but as you get down around the armpit (legpit) area the same problem with stretchy/mushy occurs. The firmer temper areas are best for tooling. Also, are you letting the leather "case" after you dampen it or working it wet? Working the leather wet will also cause much the same problem.
Don't dispare, there is a learning curve to leather work just like anything else worth doing.

Hey Chuck, hope you are doing well. Never heard the tape trick, have to give it a try on some iffy stuff.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Steel Addict

I think there were a couple things that went into the problems I encountered. But I'm in the process of trying it again now so we'll see what happens.

Chuck, how exactly and when is using tape applicable? I somewhat understand what your saying but I'm a little unclear on how and when this would be used. I appreciate the help, and honestly I was a little excited to see you posted, no offense to anyone else, but anytime the Wild Rose has something to say about leather working I'm more than all ears
Old 06-20-2013, 01:32 AM
Steel Addict

Your pouch is really cool! Yep, and different. The whole thing has a kind of Renaissance, something or other going on. It would look awesome w/ a stag handle.

This might sound weird but I wouldn't change much, fix the leather issues, develop your sheath design and keep the tooling.

The knife is cool too, but maybe to mod for the tooling design.

I can picture that sheath w/ some feathers hanging off it.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Steel Addict

Well I re-designed it... took some phone pictures so they aren't anything fancy, planning on taking some better pictures tonight in my light box. Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking.

Buffalo.jpg

Piggy: As far as the knife goes it was designed for a special user (fathers day gift) and I used buffalo horn (hence the buffalo carving) but it's an inside joke. I see what you mean though about the whole idea, although I'm not much of a feather guy.

Tags
awesome, back, blade, carving, design, handle, horn, knife, leather, make, pocket, retention, sheath, stag, strap, surface, temper