MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 05-24-2002, 08:28 PM
BrianT35

Rolling Mill

Hi All

Is anyone out there working on, or completed a rolling mill? I have rounded up most of the parts that I plan to use to make a mill. I am planning on using 2" rollers made from a hydraulic cylinder rod. I was going to turn down the ends of the top roller to 1.5" for pillow block bearings. Is this too small of a diameter for the forces applied to the roller? Also, what should be used for the lower roller? I was thinking of using brass bushings because of clearance issues with the top roller. Will bushings hold up, or should I use needle bearings?

Thanks
Brian
Old 05-24-2002, 09:39 PM
BCB27

Brian,

A friend has made 3 or 4 of them. He used hydraulic cylinders for one of them, too. While I was over one day, it delaminated while we were drawing out some steel. It basically made a mess. Can't help you on the other questions, other than to say that bushings and needle bearing will withstand a good amount of abuse in my experience, but that is with auto transmissions.

Brett
Old 05-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Sweany

Most guys have used the brass bushings I think.
Whatever you have on hand,
Old 05-24-2002, 10:03 PM
polarbearforge

I built one from the plans, so almost all measurements I used are from it. Turning it down to 1.5" will work fine. In the plans, he used bronze for the top bearings. I used pillow blocks instead, and the only thing I had to adjust was the length of the bottom roller. The bottom roller on mine is a 2" diameter piece with a hole completely through it. The inside is fitted with a piece of bronze bushing that rides on a 1" fixed solid rod. I can sketch a picture of it if ya want.

I thought that I was doing myself a favor by using a gear reducer instead of the series of pullies and the like, but I ended up with less torque at the rollers because of this. Later this summer I'm going to rebuild it with the different pullies. Other than that, the only change from the original plans I would have made, would have been to make the thing taller.

Old 05-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Bob Warner

There are several posts about rolling mills in the early messages of tool time. Here is one that has pictures of a mill.

pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm6.showMessage?topicID =104.topic

If you look around, you will find more.
pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm6.showMessage?topicID =117.topic
Old 05-25-2002, 06:40 AM
Don Cowles

Wayne Goddard was heavily involved in building one a couple of years ago. You can email him at wayneg@continet.com
Old 05-25-2002, 07:58 AM
Steelej

Re:Rolling Mill

Hi,
If you go the the pictures posted above this you can see my roller. I have been using it for around two years and only had to tighten the first belt when I used it today.
I really do reccommend following Hughs plans and using bushes instead of bearings in pillow blocks. (bushes for slow shafts, bearings for fast!) Split and bored bronze or fine cast iron will be fine for the bearings and 1 1/2" should be enough. Keep your billet really hot and weld between the rollers as well as drawing out.
If you get blisters or cold shuts near the ends of the billet it is 'cause you let it get too cold.(one pass too many before heating) Aim to press 1/8" at each pass, not much more and you should soon see the goods.
I will try and help anyone who posts roller problems here, so feel free to ask.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:56 PM
BrianT35

Re: Re:Rolling Mill

Thanks for all the info all.

Brian
Old 05-26-2002, 10:44 AM
Geno

I gotta make one of those soon.
Old 05-26-2002, 07:05 PM
SIGGI

Now wait a minute. We found a tool that Gene does not have. I am shocked. Are you sure that you don't have one in the back corner of your shop that you forgot about?

Gene, you're so good with tools I bet you could make one with parts in your shop.......We're waiting for pics :rollin:

Bob Sigmon
Old 05-27-2002, 07:14 AM
GavinD1

Could someone tell me where to get the plans for a rolling mill.