MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-03-2002, 09:34 PM
Skilled

anvil identification help needed

Hi all

I just purchased an anvil at a farm auction and would like to identify the maker. It is a wrought iron type with a hardened steel face welded to the top. It is of about 123# according to by bathroom scale. The maker's stamp is incomplete but here is what I have. "NTON" is what appears to be on the side of the anvil. The N and T are the tallest letters and the letters taper down from the middle to form a diamond. I am guessing that there are 2 or 3 letters that precede the letters that I can read. There is also an inverted flatened out V (for lack of a better way to describe it) above the maker's name in the center and a line under the last couple of letters. This line and the inverted V lines follow the same diamond shape that the letters do. On the front of the toe of the anvil under the horn it is stamped "X122" and "A1226890"

I hope this is enough info that someone can help me identify the anvil.
Thanks
Brian
Old 11-04-2002, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast

lucky Brian,

You most likely have a Trenton, which was stamped inside a horozontal diamond with letters smaller at ends, larger in center.

If the anvil hasn't been damaged in a fire, and still bounces a ball bearing or has good rebound with a hammer, you have a very good anvil. They often sell at $3. to $4. per lb. at Blacksmith meets.

They were made by the Columbus Forge & Iron Co. in Columbus, OH. They made anvils from 1898 until 1953 when a fire destroyed the plant. The serial number dates yours to 1914 as their production log was saved, the 122 is their weight, the A in serial stands for Anvil (most think). You should be able to find one or two square holes in the waist which were used to handle the anvil when making it. The Richard Postman book, Anvils in America gives much info.

They were made from forged steel, lower carbon in the base and a tool steel plate forge welded on the top.

They ring like a bell and can be made quiet by wrapping chain around the waist, forget the magnets like some suggest!

Have fun!
Old 11-05-2002, 08:07 PM
Hall of Famer

I'd have to agree with OutWest on the make. Only thing I could make out on mine was the diamond shape.

As for the magnet, I've got a 3" round flat magnet taped just behind the hardie hole and I'll tell you it really does work.

If I got you the numbers of my Trenton could you tell me some things about it?

Also I just got a 100 plus Made In Sweden anvil with a large number 9 on it. There are no other marks on it. Its cast steel and a hell of an anvil. I thought the Trenton was a ringer, this one will break your ear drums. The magnet does work on it but not as well as the one on the Trenton.........

Old 11-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Skilled

Hey OutWest

Thank you so much for the info. It is much more than I ever expected. The anvil has a good rebound and ring. I bought it because the top is almost perfectly smooth with only some chips on one of the edges. The best part is I got for $90.

Thanks again for all the info
Brian
Old 11-07-2002, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

Maybe Richard?

Found the chain worked much better than magnets to dampen the ring but did have them in a different location. It doesn't ring at all now with 3 wraps of 3/8" wired together. Besides, magnets attract scale, chains don't.
Old 11-08-2002, 03:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey Out West, Got these numbers off my Trenton. They come from the horn end on the heal. 150 far left, sure thats the weight. The other numbers are 183951.

Old 11-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Living Legend

Quiet an anvil

I was shown a neat trick with the magnet-on-anvil at Centaur Forge:

Take a very small magnet, like a 3/4" round job off the refrigerator, and put it right on the very end of the horn. Amazing how much difference such a little magnet will make.

The chain works some on my turn of the century 118 pound Peter Wright, but that little magnet is amazing.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey OutWest, Thanks for the information on my Trenton. Maybe you can enlighten me with some information on my Made in Sweden anvil. All it has on it is Made in Sweden in fairly large print and a large number 9 and thats it. I'd say its about 110 pound. Got it mainly for doing demo's but its a heck of an anvil. Pretty certain its all cast steel. As for a ring it makes the Trenton sound like a fog horn.......

Tags
forge, forging