MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

View Poll Results: Require registration to view boards?
YES - Should Register to View 6 20.00%
No - Leave it open 18 60.00%
Undecided 6 20.00%
Don't care 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2002, 09:04 PM
Administrator

Should CKD Visitors be required to register?

Guys, we are getting a lot of guests that are viewing our boards. I want the CKDF to remain an open system, but am considering whether we should secure the boards by allowing only registered members to view the content in here. I feel that a person should be required to register with a valid e-mail address before we show them our stuff. This will allow us to monitor who's reading what, when and if any repercussions are created, content stealing, image theft and so forth.

I want you all to have a say, so I've set up a poll. Please vote, but feel free to leave a comment if you would like as well.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 07-17-2002, 09:22 PM

Hey, it's free. If they have bad feelings leftover from boards with crazy trolls, etc, they can use a handle and not fill out the profile completely. Then, as they find out what is happening here, I'm sure that they would go back and fill out the profile and sign their posts.

When I found the CKD, I signed up right away. Heck, if I didn't like it, I wouldn't have come back. Obviously, I like it here!!!

Just my opinion,

Bob Sigmon
Old 07-17-2002, 09:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I say leave it open unless there prove to be substantial problems. I hate giving out personal info unless I really trust the site I'm giving it to. Alex is a good example, but a rare one. If I was new to the CKD and just checking it out I'd either turn away from reg. requirements or just give out fake info anyway.

My favorite tactic when presented with unwarranted requests for my e-mail address is to sign up either 'sales,' 'info,' or 'webmaster,' at the offending domain so they get their own spam.

:evil

jloose.com

Old 07-18-2002, 04:46 AM
Founding Member *SysAdmin*

Until we start seeing troubles, I say leave it open. It will be easy enough to shut the door when the time comes.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"Kind-hearted people might think there was some ingenious way to disarm or defeat an enemy without too much blood. This is a fallacy." - Carl von Clausewitz
Old 07-18-2002, 05:45 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I would only require registration for posting. Give folks a chance to kick the tires.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 07-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

It's a tough call isn't it? I finally had to go with "undecided".

The thing is, when I asked myself, would I register and give out my personal info just to find out if a certain forum was something I wanted to be a part of? The answer was no.

I did do this recently however. I had to register at the vBulletin forums. I wanted to study some of the available hacks to share with you. Once registered, I found that I could view posts in their forums, but still couldn't actually look at code or live examples, because I'd have to be registered as the owner of this vBulletin board. That was irritating, and a waste of my time.

Right now I'm inclined to say require registration to post, and leave it open to "view-only" mode. Then as Dogman mentioned, at the first sign of trouble, slam the door.

Doesn't it bug you when someone just takes a stand in the middle like this? But I can't help it. I really am "undecided".

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 07-18-2002, 11:59 AM

I wasn't thinking about view only without registering.

I'd be happy with view only without registering and have to register to post. I registered right away and thought nothing of it.

Bob Sigmon
Old 07-18-2002, 12:09 PM
Guru

I say keep it open otherwise we'll lose out on a lot of casual visitors who would otherwise sign up here.

Roger

Old 07-18-2002, 12:17 PM
Skilled

I agree with Roger and Mike, leave it open. It's the content that persuades people to register - especially newbies. If the newbies cant see in, they'll be put off registering for sure. I lurked these forums for weeks before I registered.

Old 07-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Primos

I did do this recently however. I had to register at the vBulletin forums. I wanted to study some of the available hacks to share with you. Once registered, I found that I could view posts in their forums, but still couldn't actually look at code or live examples, because I'd have to be registered as the owner of this vBulletin board. That was irritating, and a waste of my time.

OT for a moment, Terry, I'm allowed to put one other person under my licence to view and access the files at vbulletin.com/vbulletin.org. If you want access the sites - drop me a pm.

OK, back to topic .....

Old 07-18-2002, 12:31 PM

Talking

[OFF TOPIC]

Cool Martyn! PM sent.

[/OFF TOPIC]

Old 07-18-2002, 01:00 PM
Living Legend

I like the idea of it being open to view and to post you must register. We are sharing a LOT of very good information here for free. I also looked around this forum for a while without registering and when I got to a point where I wanted to actually ask a question, I registerd before doing so. I would just take away the ability to post unless the person has a prifile filled out (Regisered) with a few required fields.

Name (Alias is OK)
Lcation (just to state level or equivilant for those in the rest of the world)
Experience level (beginner, intermediate, experienced) they decide themselves what category to be in.

I think those that post with an alias will eventually want to change to their real names when they get ready to start selling their stuff and want people to really know who they are. A lot of people took advantage of the forum move to change their user names.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 07-18-2002, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Warner
I think those that post with an alias will eventually want to change to their real names when they get ready to start selling their stuff and want people to really know who they are. A lot of people took advantage of the forum move to change their user names.
Yeah, who would want to buy a knife from a guy with a name like HuggyBear or DeathAngel?

Old 07-18-2002, 08:06 PM
Sam Wereb

I, too, was embarrassed that I had to go with "undecided." Now, I see the light. Free to view, but register-to-post seems to be the best plan.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:22 PM
Steel Addict

I lurked for a long time here before I posted. Then I posted without registering, which at the time I thought was cool. I've had to change my registration since the boards changed and lost all of my previous post numbers. Registering to View? I'd pass. Registering to post seems the best alternative.

Tags
knife, knives