MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 06-16-2002, 08:46 AM
Guru

British or European Knifemaking Forum?

Maybe this is the time to suggest this with the British collaboration knife ideas coming together, the CKD forums moving to the new software and recognisable url...

Is it time for a British knifemaking forum or should we aim for something more pan-European?

On the British side we might at the moment be a collection of amateurs but we have just been joined by Mick Maxen who is far from an amateur; he demonstrates Damascus making to British Artist Blacksmithing Association forge-ins. I would hope we could attract a few of the other knifemakers from rec.knives and other places too. There are people who simply don't use the internet for what it is good for, exchanging information in a timely fashion.

If such a forum was to be extended to include Europe we have of course Jens Anso, Achim Wirtz and Tim Wagendorp.... I think we've all heard of them

One of the problems we have in Europe is finding materials and equipment specific to knifemaking and then in maintaining contact lists, such information tends to slip onto the back pages of furums like this and then has to be repeated, research done again and so on.

My personal feeling is that a European forum would work. Most of Europe suffers from the same nasty tax system (VAT anyone), we might even be able to co-ordinate the occasional meeting at a Paris show (a few of us hope to meet this September) and with luck we can do something collectively about the matrial supplies issues...

Thoughts?

Roger

Old 06-16-2002, 04:34 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Roger,
This one has been addressed in the past, when a request was made for a Canadian Forum. Rather than echo what has already been said, let me direct you to the earlier discussion.

http://www.ckdforums.com/showthread....light=canadian

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 06-16-2002, 05:02 PM
Guru

Terry

Thanks for reminding me of that thread. I do remember reading it when it cropped up.

I suppose an alternative is to create an association and then suggest a forum ....

The idea is not to be divisive but to discuss specific British and/or European issues in one place and everything else in the rest of the CKDF. As it stands it is very difficult to sift through all the information and threads on the CKD to find the relevant material.

It isn't a major issue but I think we stand a better chance of attracting more of the makers and collectors across to the CKD if there is something specific which will draw them in. Right now there isn't. If they do get here they'll find that the rest of the CKD is a great resource and they will also hopefully contribute themselves.

But, it isn't anything anyone's going to fall out over

Roger

Old 06-16-2002, 08:05 PM
Skilled

I would also like to see a British (or European) forum. One of the major obstacles for me was/is trying to source all the equipment and materials. Sheffield steel is famous all over the world, but it's easier for me to pay a huge import bill and trans-Atlantic shipping than to get small quantities of steel from Sheffield. It is possible to source, but very hard to find. That's just one example.

While I take Terry's point about an international site - virtually 99% of references and links are US based. Given the strength of the "hobby" in the US and the population of the US that's not surprising I suppose. But sifting through it all to find the occasional gem of a link for us Brits is very difficult.

Quote:
I suppose an alternative is to create an association and then suggest a forum ....
... a good point made in jest.

Old 06-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Actually, It would seem that the rule to allow associations to group together, isolating some of their discussions, pretty much opens a valid argument for any other type of content related boards, such as geographic boards.

I personally like the idea, and understand it's use. I think we need to open up the charter at this point. These guys have a good point and do have special needs, and we should allow them to develop the content around them as they see fit.

We call ourselves "the ultimate custom knife resource" ... lets make good on it!

What say ye?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-17-2002, 01:23 AM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

After saying a few syllables about this over on Martyn's forum (very nice by the way), I mulled over the issue for a bit.

The more I thought about it, the more I started thinking that it might not be a bad idea after all.

As you stated, the various associations have a place for their special needs. We've also given the NT-M's a place to hang their hats, as well as giving the young knife enthusiasts a special hangout of their own.

Perhaps it is time to show our British, Canadian, and other international brothers that we are sensitive to their needs as well. It is my sincere hope however, that they would continue to participate outside their own forums.

Okay, so you can teach an old dog new tricks. This time I'm voting yes.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 06-17-2002, 01:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
I vote for European.........making british only limits the potential users...if it picks up we could devide later...

Old 06-17-2002, 07:01 AM
Skilled

Yeah Jens, a European resources forum sounds the most reasonable to me also.

Old 06-17-2002, 07:22 AM

I can see why there is caution in jumping on this, but I also trust that the folks involved would still be a vital part of the CKD--if not even more so.

We are breaking new ground everywhere here. I'm a supporter. 'European' forum is my vote, too. I think it's a good idea.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-17-2002, 09:31 AM

Euro Forum

I'd vote for a Euro Forum.

Heck, I always sneek in and read the three state group forums.

I'll peek in and see what is going on across the pond, too.

Bob Sigmon
Old 06-17-2002, 11:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Cool,

Then I can make friends with you guys and finagle myself some trips to European shows... I hear I just missed the big Puukko show in Finland...

And at Blade I discovered that if you simply call the Britich Museum ahead of time and tell them you're a Smith they'll gladly take you behind the scenes.

Wish I'd thought of that a few years back...

Personally I like the idea of a European forum. Does anything like it exist elsewhere? It seems like there must be exclusively Euro forums somewhere ( I've found myself discussed on a German language one- love Babelfish! ) But what could happen here would be more -interaction- between European makers and Americans. It would really help get more Europeans to come to, say, the NYC shows and help get some of us over there.

At Blade I was talking to some of the Scandinavian Makers who said that no one really understood their traditional styles of blades. We were thinking of how to promote them... since some of my knives are my own take on those styles... this could be a first step toward creating a broader appreciation for traditional styles on both sides of the Lake.

jloose.com

Old 06-17-2002, 01:55 PM
Guru

This is all excellent stuff.

I predicty that if we have a European forum in place we will attract some serious makers and collectors. If we don't have at least a couple of serious makers inside a month in addition to those we have already I'll eat my hat but not my bowler please...

Perhaps I should restate some of my views and aims (freely 'borrowing' from Jon):

The forum should:

Act as an unofficial European 'Consulate' for Europeans new to the CKD, the net or forums generally.
Put suppliers and makers together
Put makers and collectors/dealers together
Share information on European events for those over the Pond (and elsewhere in the world)
Share information on attending US events for European makers and collectors
Deal with European tax issues (a major trade obstacle)
Provide information to our transatlantic and worldwide friends on markets and tastes within Europe, how to deal with laws, customs and commerce in Europe
Help European makers and collectors deal with tax, duty, legal and commercial issues when dealing with the rest of the world

The forum should not:

Attempt to replicate other parts of the CKD (such as Sheathmaking, Display Case, Tutorials...)
Detract from the rest of the CKD by becoming too insular
Become a focus for any 'them and us' attitudes
Probably some other things I haven't thought of yet

What does that look like for a start?

Roger

Old 06-17-2002, 04:06 PM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Looks good to me

Old 06-18-2002, 05:52 PM
Guru

Any other comments from the gallery?

No? Right, let's do it!

Roger

Old 06-18-2002, 09:59 PM
Steel Addict

I think it is a great idea! I still think there is a need for a Canadian forum as well, for all the above reasons and more.

ghostdog

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives