MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Guru

Alex,

I am good with whoever to moderate, but think the board should be very easy going. I believe we want to foster an open discussion on making steel, from traditional methods to new, interesting ideas that may or may not work out. Some of the ones I have been seeing are Thermite steel making, arc welding, to J. Loose's traditional smelt. I also think we need to get away from being real anal about names while doing this. From my reading, the area that originally produced wootz has one name for all types of steels like this, from wootz to pattern weld, and I think it would be nice to focus on process not on endless debate on wether something should properly get the term X.

I think Brent would probably do good as a moderator here, so I'll nominate him (even if he wants to run from the nomination). I'm willing to help if needed.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Living Legend

I will give it a shot but it would be a first for me. A new challenge is always something I am game for and ready to tackle. Being self employed allows me alot of time to read all the forums and participate in the discussions. The Knife Network Forums have been incredibly helpful for me in learnign all aspects of bladesmithing and I wold be honored to be able to participate in it even more.

Crucible steel smelting has been one of the more facinating aspects of bladesmithing, the very idea of making your own steel will intrique me for a long time. The new forum should be very active since there are so many details, techniques and ingredients to the process. Most importantly, as with all forums, keeping it lighthearted and not too technical will make it even better.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Skilled

Alex,

I second the nomination of Brent. I think he will be a good choice for the moderator.

Mike
Old 01-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Living Legend

Thanks Mike! Don't cash the check until monday (tic)
Old 01-13-2006, 09:02 PM
Skilled

Hey Brent No problem I can wait till Monday!

Mike
Old 02-10-2006, 08:49 PM
Skilled

hey, im in. so when is this forum going to get going, or is it all ready going and i've overlooked it.
brett
Old 02-23-2006, 11:49 AM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin
Hi Guys ...

It looks like you have plenty of support/interest for this topic. We'll be happy to set it up and support it for you.

Let's have some opinions on who should moderate this new board, and why ...

As soon as that is settled, we'll launch it ... sound good?

Alex

Alex, any word yet on the new forum? I am eagerly awaiting to jump in with both feet. Almost all the other knife making forums have a smelting or crucible steel forum and I know that if The Knife Network had one it would help to make it an even better and more rounded out resource. There are so many "unknowns" and new discoveries to be made with making our own blade steel that it is sure to become a very good information and experience exchange medium.

Just in the last month I made some very interesting discoveries in my own experiementation that I would love to toss out to everyone to chew on and offer thier input.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:48 PM
Living Legend

Well shoot guys! It looked like this was going to happen but I guess not. Thank you to everyone who posted thier interest and contributed thier idea's for it. Maybe in another year we can try again since TKN is growing so fast.

????????????????

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 07-23-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Living Legend

Did it die? If so why? I can't believe it is due to a nomination of a person for moderator.

I have not seen a NO from Alex.

I think the posting stopped waiting for the forum to show up or to be denied.

I would like to see this also. I think it would be nice to have a way to cast things (of course I would go BIG). I want to cast PARTS for tools.

So, everyone that is interested in this needs to make sure they stay in the mix to let it be known that this would be a beneficial forum. I would have tossed my name in the hat earlier but was kinda busy at the time it was brought up.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:35 AM
Steel Addict

theres alway room for more crucible forums... i hope this idea doesn't fade away as there is much to be learned from making your own steel.... and besides it alot of fun

Greg
Old 07-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Living Legend

I took an entire month this spring to play around with casting knife parts. My goal was to get an old world look with the mold seams and heat oxidation. During that month I learned alot about casting bronze, brass, silver and copper.

My expereinces with casting could take up several threads. Last night I hammered out my first blade from home smelted steel. It was some of the nicest steel to hammer that I have ever tried. Half of the ore I used was black sands right off my property. This knife will be by far my most cherished project. To actually use the dirt beneath my feet to forge a blade is a very unique experience.

Me and Jerry Bennet have been doing alot of experimentation with using thermite to make simple steel. It can be done fast and for very little money. I am continuing to develop my electric arc smelting process that is by far faster, more consistant and much cheaper then propane or charcoal smelting.

There are several methods you may choose to try to make your own steel. A smelting forum would enable all of us to exchange info and techniques. I am interested in all of the processes.

The coolest smelting setup I have seen so far is J. Looses. He built dual full sized bellows to completely recreate the very old process of smelting iron and steel. I have not heard if he has been succesful in purchasing the two slaves needed to work them yet. If he does I am sure he will post pics of the whole setup running.

1% carbon iron ingot right out of the electro smelt crucible. It was smelted from hematite, Total smelt time 10 minutes in an inert gas atmosphere. It had a 1 hr normalizing cycle cooling down from the yellow molten state to room temp.

This is the small integral I hammer forged from the ingot.

The flamming birth of an ingot/button of iron via thermite. The metal plug in the upper combustion crucible has just melted and the molten iron is dropping down into the smaller crucible to merge with graphite powder and become steel. There is a lid on the combustion crucible with two 1" dia vent holes but the gases are still shooting out of the rim as well as straight up.

Boiling iron is a very cool sound!

The finished button of steel ready for the hammer. There is a layer of slag on the top of it.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 08-19-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Living Legend

As of today there have been 290 page views. If you are interested in having a smelting forum then you need to post your interest so Alex can get a good idea if it would be worth it. If you don't think it's a good idea then post your opinion anyway.

It only takes 10 seconds to post a reply so don't sit back and wait for everyone else to do it for you.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

A smelting forum would be great. I havn't melted or smelted any iron yet but have melted brass and aluminum. Iron is coming soon.

Fred Warner
Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin
Hi Guys ...

It looks like you have plenty of support/interest for this topic. We'll be happy to set it up and support it for you.

Let's have some opinions on who should moderate this new board, and why ...

As soon as that is settled, we'll launch it ... sound good?

Alex

So Alex is this going to happen, just wondering.

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Hi Guys,

Forgive me for getting my mind off of the topic. I meant to reply before now.

Are you ready to go?? Can anyone suggest a good board title, description?

Who wants to moderate it?

Don't keep talking ... let's do it, or move on!!!

Brent ... do you have time/interest to run this new board for us? I think you would be a great leader around here!!! You've earned it!!!

Don't feel obligated, but if you have time, we'd be honored!!!

Right men?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making