MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 02-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Living Legend

Better forum descriptions?

I was just looking around and noticed a post in Ed Caffrey's forum about using acid on wood handle materials.

I have also seen quite a bit of moving of topics by different moderators to try to get the topics into the correct forums.

Maybe we should look at the descriptions of the forums and maybe tweak them a little to assist people in finding the correct forum for their topic.

People not interested in forging may never look at Ed's forum but they would miss this discussion on handle materials due to it's location.

Anyone have any ideas?

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Bob, maybe a simple (or different) subtitle, still keeping the same forum name would work. For example, Ed's could be:

Ed Caffrey's Workshop

-with the focus on forging

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 02-05-2003, 04:24 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
I like this idea. I've been on these forums for the better part of eight months, and I still scratch my head sometimes about where to post something. I can imagine what it's like for a newbie. (Heck, I can remember what it's like for a newbie!)

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Skilled

I like this idea, only problem I see is thread drift. very often what starts as one thing ends up at another. But as a start it certainly couldn't hurt. I think maybe we should ponder some new sub-titles. I do think the original names of the forums should stay.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 02-06-2003, 12:11 AM
Administrator

If you see any that you want changed, let me know.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-06-2003, 03:21 PM
Living Legend

The suggestions below are just that, suggestions.

Basically, I tried to remove redundant topics. If you look at the top two forums you will see that they both have discussion on collecting. I tried to eliminate that redundancy. I also added the names of the moderators to each forum title. This is not required but I think if we do it on some (Like Tool Time) then we should do it everywhere, or nowhere.

I went a little over my $0.02 but you can feel free to let me know it.

Custom Knife Collecting with Jerry Oksman
Knife collecting from beginner to professional. Discuss latest designs, get reviews, opinions and more. All your collecting questions can be asked here.

Custom Knife Forum with Les Robertson
The place to discuss knife trends, up and coming and bang for the buck knifemakers. Discuss the latest materials and why they should or should not be used.

The Display Case with Bob Sigmon and Don Cowles
Post pictures of your latest work. Let the CKD see it first?right here. Get feedback on your work from other knifemakers.

General Knife Related Discussions with Jens Anso and Johnathon Loose
Discuss all aspects of handmade and custom knifemaking. This is the place to discuss items that don?t seem to fit into any other forum.

Custom Knife Web Site Announcement and Updates with the CKDAdmin
Have a new web site to announce? Any updates to your site lately? Tell us all about them here and give us a link to check it out.

The Supply Center with the CKDAdmin
Where do I get the latest handle materials? Who sells the things I need? Supplies are the specialty of this forum. Tell us where you buy it or if you sell it.

Ed Caffrey?s Workshop
Ed Caffrey?The Montana Bladesmith. Discussion on forging and forging steels, heat treating and other forging and metal questions.

The S.R. ?Steve? Johnson Forum
Discuss specialized knife making tips, technique and training for ?ultra presision? design work enthusiasts.

Tool Time with Gene Osborn and Bob Warner
This is the BEST forum on the web??????.oops, did I really type that?
Let?s talk shop! Equipment, how to use it?. how to build it?.how to modify it. Learn everything you need about tools and how to perform various tasks with the tools you already have.

The Folding Knife Forum with Jason Howell and Neil Charity
Learn the ins & outs of folders. Learn to design them and how to make them. Learn how to do those things that only need to be done on folders.

Fit & Finish with Don Cowles
Fit and Finish = the difference in ?Good art? and ?Fine art.? Discuss the fine art fit and finish.

Fine Embellishment with Jim Small and Tim Adlam
Discuss hand engraving, scrimshaw, filework and carving. This is the place to come to learn how to make a great knife spectacular.

The Sheath Making Forum with Jens Anso and Don Cowles
Discuss how to make and decorate all types of sheaths. Learn to work leather, kydex, concealex, presentation boxes and much, much more.

High Performance Blades with Jerry Hossom
Can your knives perform better than they are? Learn the tricks to making your steel perform at it?s best.

The Newbies Arean with Don Cowles, Ray Rogers and Terry Hearn
New to knifemaking? Here is all the help you need. Just ask your questions and help is on the way.

The Kit Knife Forum with Coop747 and Darrel Ralph
New to the art of knifemaking? Learn to make knives like a professional, using advanced hands-on training with designer knife kits.

Young Knife Enthusiasts Forum with ????????????
Knifemaking and discussion for the younger Generation. Young people are doing some very good work and they are talking and learning about it here.

CKD Fusion Projects ? Collaboration/Pass-Around Knife Forum with ??????????????
Joint Ventures? Come here to discuss or organize a joint venture with another knifemaker.

Historical Inspiration with Johnathon Loose and Roger Gregory
Discuss historical knife design and how it has influenced everything we do today. Discuss museum pieces or other historical facts about knifemaking.

Maker Sales with ???????????????
Are you a knifemaker? If so, sell your knives here. This is a place to display your knives and tell others about them.

Dealer Sales with ???????????????
Are you a dealer? Do you have knives for sale that other made? Here is the place to display them and tell others about them.

CKD Classifieds: Buy/Sell/Trade
Good deals on knifemaking and related items by other CKD members. Sell tools, materials, etc??.

Custom Knife Photography Discussion with Terrill Hoffman
Share and improve your photographic techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions are welcome here.

CKD Photo of the Week Contest (Image Display Board) with Bob Sigmon and Terrill Hoffman
Enter your picture into the ?Photo of the Week? contest. This is where you place your images to be seen and voted on. No discussions or comments here, just photographs of great knives.

Mississippi Knifemakers Association with Bladezealot and ShadowE
Members of the Mississippi Knifemakers Association are knifemakers, beginners and purveyors coming together for the benefit of the Industry.

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association with Gene Osborn
The TKCA is dedicated to promoting Custom knives and the people that make them.

The North Carolina Custom Knifemakers Guild Forum with Andrew McLurkin and Barry Jones
Raising the general awareness of custom knives and the people that make them.

European Knifemaking Forum with Jens Anso and Roger Gregory
An unofficial European ?Consulate? connecting European knifemakers, collectors and suppliers with their counterparts worldwide.

SBC Forum with Ivan Campos, Ricardo Lala and Rodrigo Sfreddo
Everything about Brizialian custom knives and knifemakers ? this is the official forum for the ?Sociedade Brasileira de Cutelleiros.? ?O forum official da sociedade Brasileira de Cuteleiros ? tudo somber o mundo da Cutelaria Atresanal no Brasil!?

CKD Communitywith Bob Sigmon, Coop747 and Osprey Guy
The CKD is all about excellence and sharing info. Our ?other? lives are also filled with stories, events and opinions. This forum provides an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don?t.

The Link Exchange with ??????????????
Trade links with other knifemakers and knife sites around the world.

The computer Center with ShadowE and Terry Primos
Technical help and discussion arena for computer related issues. Need help or have a suggestion? Buying a new piece of hardware or software ? having trouble with the CKD site? ? Post it here!

The Outpost with Dana Acker
This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives and have fun doing it. The Outpost represents a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to the craft of knifemaking.

The outpost Trading Post with Dana Acker
Should this be merged with the CKD Classifieds????????????????? Last post was November

The Outpost Gallery with Dana Acker
The most recent post was nine months ago, is anyone interested in keeping this forum? Should the post be moved to another location?

The Outpost Archives with Dana Acker
Most recent post was six months ago, maybe time to archive some more from the Outpost to the Archive????????

The Business of Knifemaking with the CKDAdmin
Dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to custom knifemaking and custom knife selling industry.

CKD Wish list with the CKDAdmin
Discussion and request board for adding new features or topics to the forum or the main CKD site. Post them here and the discussion will begin.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:32 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Somebody's been busy!

I like those descriptions. I think they would help newcomers immensely.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 02-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Living Legend

Just call me stumpy fingers.

Old 02-06-2003, 06:35 PM

I like 'em!

....with one suggestion:

Quote:
The Display Case with Bob Sigmon and Don Cowles - Post pictures of your latest work. Let the CKD see it first?right here. Get feedback on your work from other knifemakers.
Sounds limited with this. I wish ANYONE with a picture of a latest aquisition, a knife of interest, and makers to post their latest here. Not just a latest work for appraisal and feedback. Si or No?

Bob, you spent a ton of time doing this and it shows. Thanks for it!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-07-2003, 11:27 AM
Skilled

Bob I like it! I agree with Coop on the display case it needs to be broadend a little more.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 02-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

I'm not to sure on the names in the titles of every forum. For one thing, it's somewhat redundant since the moderators are already displayed beside each forum. Another thing is that on may of these forums the moderator or moderators are not the primary "answer men".

For example, in the case of the Computer Center forum, I would prefer not to have my name listed I the title because I am unable to spend all the time that I did the first couple of years with it.

Also, because of my separation from Corporate America in general, and Information Technology specifically, I am no longer up-to-date on the lastest trends, hardware, operating sytems, etc. I can still answer some of the more generic questions for which the answers remain the same. But I don't deserve (or really want) my name marqueed, which would suggest that I'm the resident expert.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the forums which already have names in the title.

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 02-09-2003, 03:58 AM
Administrator

Does anyone have any suggestions on "Forum Reordering"?

I think site announcements should be moved down to the bottom, for instance. I also think some of the others should be brought up.

Should we base the placements on activity within their group?

I say this because we're going to a new system shortly. Actually, you're going to wake up one day and be blown away by what we're working on. I want to integrate some images into the board, some show schedule information and also some simulcasted tutorial base and article action into the interface.

Layout and descriptions will always help the boards, though. Have you guys consulted with all the team on these yet? When do we call it a "go" for placement and description changes?

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-16-2003, 09:44 PM

Alex, I think your placement idea has merit. The Outpost deserves top shelf status fershure. Activity level is a good measure.

I'm with Terry on the Mods names being removed from the forum marquee's. We should be behind the scenes, not dominating it. (Right, Coop.... )

Any other Mods see a change to Bob's descriptions that you would rather have? Do you think they are in order? Let's give Alex some feedback.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Administrator

I don't want to make any changes until we have this ironed out. I'm watching this thread, though.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-17-2003, 01:24 AM
Guru

I like "Stumpy's" idea, and I agree with Terry,
I think the names could be removed, except for Jerry's, Steves, Ed's and Les's. That would provide room for a more detailed description of that particular forums intent.

One thing I noticed while visiting a jewelers forum recently, was when you placed the cursor on the topic heading, a pop-up declared the date when the thread originally began. I thought that was a nice touch.

Another thing that I've noticed here, is that some people don't manage to, or think to, scroll to the bottom of the forum list.
I'm not sure anything could be done to remedy that, outside of condensing the forums or ordering them as to "theme".

I feel that the "Newbies Arena" should be re-named.
Essentially all of the forums are for, and welcome, so-called newbies.
In a way, it's an intimidating handle to place on newcomers.
It "may" be perceived that new members should start there, rather than getting involved on the other boards.
Possibly, it's why more people won't participate in some of the discussions in the other forums.

I remember what it was like!....

Tim

EDIT/ To include Bob's new nickname....

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 02-17-2003 at 01:36 AM.

Tags
folding knife, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives