MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Network : Support & Services > Feature & Member Support

Feature & Member Support Questions about how to use the features on the Knife Network web site? Problems logging in? Post them in here.

Old 02-02-2003, 09:26 PM

What about.... A Tactical forum??

Probably been talked about before, but I don't remember. One of the dominant area's of the knife world--at least these days--is simply Tacticals. There's entire magazines devoted to the genre.

Sure they *can* fit in every category we have. But do they deserve a spot on their own? Just tossing it out there for discussion.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-03-2003, 11:50 PM
Administrator

We don't seem to have that many "true" tactical makers here, do we? I know of a couple, but what would the discussions focus on?

If enough of you want it, however, I'm in.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 02-22-2003, 03:16 PM

Hi Alex,

Im with Coop (big surprise). Tactical (BRAND NAME) knives have been the biggest sellers in custom knives for the last 9 years.

Coupled with the economy the way it is, more people are looking for "less expensive" knives from their favorite makers. Tactical's are not going away any time soon.

Personally, I think the main reason more knife makers don't contribute on all of the forums on the internet. Is the "beating" they take from all the anonymous "knife experts".

There is a lot less of that here, as we don't have any talk about factory knives. This elimates many of the "trolls".

If you want to set up a Tactical Knife Forum. Id volunteer to Moderate it. Perhaps we could get RJ Martin as a co-moderator. He is an exceptional resource for "technical" information.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 02-23-2003, 03:54 PM
Guru

I think I'm with Coop and Les on this one. We have members who lurk rather than post, quite a few of them are very knowledgeable collectors of tactical knives, both folders and fixed blades.

I promise to stir up some polite and intelligent debate which is possible at the CKD (or USN) but not in some other places......

Roger

Old 02-27-2003, 06:48 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I'm all for it! The only problem with a tactical forum is that it needs to be policed fairly vigorously, since it can attract some weirdo's who like to pound their chests a lot. Tactical knives are a unique challenge in knifemaking and I think a forum on knife qualities and uses could be very interesting.

I'd also love to see a forum dedicated to the survival arena. That's another area of highly specialized needs.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com
Old 02-28-2003, 03:05 PM
Hall of Famer

both jim and jerry's ideas appeal to me. and from what i have seen elsewhere, i agree that we may need a troll filter on the tactical forum.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:11 PM
Skilled

I am for a tactical forum. But like the others I have reservations about the "rambo's" who will flock there. Keep 'em on a tight rein and it should be a go. Getting Randy (RJ) Martin would be a coup too.

plus I'd have someone to talk helo's with!

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 02-28-2003, 07:34 PM

I think the best filter to keep the trolls out . Is make someone fill out a profile with their name and a legit email address.

Failure to do so, allows you to read but not post.

Personally, I feel that CKD has a different audience. As such many of the people who post with anonimity would not be interested in posting here if they were forced to show who they really are.

www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com
Old 03-01-2003, 12:19 AM
Administrator

When and if you guys decide that you're ready to go with this, let me know.

Randy would be a great addition. I need to give him something to do while he waits on me to get off my tail on something else he's asked me for ...

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 03-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Registered

If you want the opinion of a brand new member, I think it's a great idea. I am in the military and love tactical knives (all knives for that matter). You may get some unwanted 'weirdos', but I think it would be worth the effort.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Greg,

Welcome to the CKD and thank you for your input!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 03-06-2003, 06:38 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I'm also a newbie, I'm in process of making my first blade. I lurked for 6 months before I made a post.

I'd like to make some blades are considered tactical so I'm all for a tactical forum.

The Balisong forum should be a good test case. If that can run without drawing trolls, politics and serious nut cases (as opposed to us normal nut cases) I think a tactical forum could work.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:52 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Welcome, Stephen and Greg. Glad to have you.

If I might make a suggestion: If you are worried about a tactical forum drawing trolls, maybe the moderator could put a sticky post at the top of the forum ("All newcomers read this first!") laying out the ground rules:

No politics, no weirdos, etc.

It should also lay out the consequences of violating those rules: First you get your hand slapped. Second time you get the boot.

Of course, the punishment needs to be at the discretion of the moderator, and that needs to be stated as well.

I would like to see this forum. I only get time to make a few knives a year, but the way things are nowadays, I'd like to design and produce a couple of tacticals to send to some of my military friends. Kinda my version of a care package, minus the fruit and chocolate.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-09-2003, 09:38 PM

I'm still a proponent

...and I think the ideas and suggestions presented so far make good sense. We have a different atmosphere here, and it shows. Even the testosterone-filled minds of the all-tactical lovers would enjoy the dialog methinks. As fond as I am for true art pieces, I too, am appreciating the differences in these knives. (In folders anyway. )

Q: What's black and grey and read all over....?
A: The CKD Tactical forum!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 03-10-2003, 03:02 AM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up I'll 2nd,3rd,4th,5th etc'

Great idea, i would love to see such a FORUM, I like Les Robertson
suggestion as it would be workable and not require Moderators time quite so much, hope it gets the green light anyhow.

Bernie

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives